Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

Roku doesn't provide any of the hardware used in Roku TVs. They only supply the operating system. 

I imagine there's a few non-smart TVs around, but likely not many. And even those are probably going to be in the smallest screen sizes. They all use some sort of computer to run the TV now, so making them "smart" likely adds almost nothing to the cost. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

Exactly right.  And Roku is not responsible for any malfunction of the HBO Max app. If necessary, contact HBO  customer service or tech support directly through their website and put in a formal complaint with them. I did this recently on the NBC website because I was having a similar issue with the NBC app. A week or so later, I was able to log on to the app as usual. Some how the issue that was happening cleared itself up. 

0 Kudos
Nsputnik1
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't agree that Roku should not have some sort of say or opinion regarding one the premier streaming channels not working right on their device.  Both companies brand reputations are on the line and they should work together to fix the issue and not be asking each individual customer to reach out to them for a solution, it is unacceptable to today's consumers. Just fix the software or enforce and publicize minimum hardware requirements like any reputable tech company. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Nsputnik1

While you have a valid point, there's only so much Roku can do. They have a contract with HBO to provide the channel, so it's not like they can threaten to pull it. Beyond that, all they can do is talk with them about the issues. Most likely they are doing that, but that's not a public conversation. And as mentioned here before, the Max app is actually worse on other platforms. For myself, Max works fine on my Roku Ultra, but I have constant issues with the app freezing up on my Shield, a supposedly higher end player. 

Dan

blouwho
Level 7

Jump to solution

My newer TCL Roku tv is doing this with HBOMAX and Prime.        

Tried turning off data saver, unplugging tv to reboot, remove app, reboot, replace apps, reboot.     

We had no old HBO, apps work on Roku devices in other rooms.         

0 Kudos
Kndllee
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

Mine is doing this on every channel, Netflix, Prime, HBO, Hulu, all day, I click on them, and it bounces straight back to Home Screen instead of opening the channels.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Rsmith216
Level 7

Jump to solution

The directions to start on another device worked. 

0 Kudos
Statview
Level 7

Jump to solution

Removing the channel and reinstalling it doesn't work I've done it 3 times at least and checked for updates plus called HBO support still not working I cancelled it but have it for a short time before it cancels completely it's sad because I thought it would be a good app esp for what they are charging I'm disappointed ☹️ the app is garbage 🗑️ esp with so many people having the same issues they need to scrap it and go back to the drawing board not sure if it's just Roku it works ok on my computer and phone and on fire stick

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Statview HBO is solely responsible for their channel on Roku devices. You can't compare the app on a different platform (Fire TV, Android device, phone, computer) as they all use a different programming language to create the app. HBO has terrible programmers, and I have far more issues with the app on my Nvidia Shield Android based, like your Fire TV Stick) than on my Roku Ultra. In fact, on my Ultra 4800 it works just fine.

But in the end it's HBO's fault for providing a poorly programmed channel and not being honest with their customers about which model Roku devices their channel will actually work well on. 

Dan

0 Kudos