Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

HBO Max app crashes when playing certain content

I was excited to download the new HBO Max app and start using it (albeit about 7 months too late).

For the most part, it seems to work great!  However, when I try to play some of the content in "my list", the app crashes and returns to the Roku home screen.

It seems to be a problem unique to Roku.  When I use my Google TV, with the same account, the same "my list", and the same content, it plays back just fine.

I guess the two Chromecast with Google TVs I purchased, while waiting for Roku and HBO to stop being jerks, still have their uses.

Tags (2)
14 Replies
Level 7

Re: HBO Max app crashes when playing certain content

Confirmed, I noticed the same problem. Gets especially bad after longer use. Restarting app doesn't help. Roku hard reset (unplugging) helps for a while.

Level 8

HBO Max app crashes: when using top menus, switching user profiles, playing content and others. BAD!

I was happy the HBO MAX app was finally launched on Roku, but the app is beta quality at best.

1. It crashes if you try to select the top menu items: search, browse and user(s).
  2. It crashes randomly when selecting content.
  3. It does not properly sync the user profiles across multiple Rokus.
  4. It does not properly apply the TV ratings on a "kids" account and even stops playback of G rated content.
  5. It repeatedly shows it knows of the user profile, but then when you attempt to play content it asks you to sign up for HBO MAX. You are required to sign out, re-authorize the Roku via the HBO MAX site and it still fails to work for even a single day.
  6. The app crashed 9 times today in less than 3 minutes. The app is not much better on the PS4 either.
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Mine crashes before HBO Max even finishes loading.  This happens on both of my Roku devices, and HBO Max works fine on all other devices, so this is 100% a Roku problem.  Time to switch to a Fire stick

0 Kudos
Level 9

This is EXACTLY what is happening on my Roku TV.  I keep trying to watch a certain movie in my favorites list and it crashes every time and throws me back to Roku Home Screen.  But I can play other movies with no problem, it's just this one particular movie, weird.  The movie is "Knife in the Water."  This movie will play on my computer's Chrome browser fwiw.

The app has also crashed randomly simply by clicking through categories, options, etc.  This happened relatively frequently the first few hours I was playing with the app after first downloading a couple days ago, but has improved since.  But not being able to play a title, ugh.  I chalk this up to the app not being polished and ready, don't know who to blame.   I do love the content found in HBO Max and hopeful the problem will be fixed shortly with an update.  

Level 9

I hope Roku is listening! I have the same problem though it did work for about a day... but froze up if I tried to navigate too fast! Ergh! 
Its now doing the revert to home screen thing that many in the community are reporting. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

@PeteCharles the first of the two problems you mention was exactly what I experienced.  In my case, if I recall correctly, I think it was the first episode of the not-so-great series Beforeigners that caused my crash.  I think that's the only problem I've encountered so far.  Though, at this point, I sometimes subconsciously switch to Google TV (for HBO Max) without noticing I've done it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Level 10

Admittedly, the app is poor compared to the Xbox One version (and I have 3 rokus with the app), but for those saying it is bad on the PS4---WTF?

If you are having problems on various devices, DON'T POST HERE. let me say it again:

DON'T POST HERE!!!!! (unless you for some silly reason are subscribed to HBO through Roku: in that case it is your own fault for doing so rather than independently).

0 Kudos
Level 7

how many more people need to report this issue before roku decides their customers matter enough to look into this?

Support should at least acknowledge this problem!

ridiculous...

Level 9

Re: HBO Max Not working

I fixed it by : going to Hbo max app on my phone - SETTINGS then DEVICES- then sign out of all devices.

Remove channel from Roku

Restart Roku 

Reinstall channel 

It’s been working fine so far. 
Let others know- the fix came from Danny at Roku 
Aloha from Kauai

0 Kudos