Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bknabe
Level 12

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@Paddypods wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@RoyBatty wrote:

The fact is they are missing the point. It is not about assigning blame, people just want a solution that meets their requirements. Clearly many will change platforms and the corporations will make their business decisions accordingly.


Your wording belies your intent. If it is just about a solution you would be encouraging people to fuss at ATT  and Univeral as well as Roku. I have said several time that Roku is not blameless, but I also know the history of the other companies involved, and deserting Roku looks like exactly what they would want, based on that history. If they can break Roku, they will do this with every platform out there, and you have helped bring into reality the very problem you claim you want to avoid.


I think you entirely missed the point @RoyBatty was making. For many of us, including myself, assigning blame is meaningless. Encouraging people here to fuss at other companies is pointless. This is the Roku forum, not the AT&T nor Comcast forum, so there is no need for me to vent my frustration with those companies here. Yes, I happen to believe that Roku wants more than its fair share unlike its past deals, but it really doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong. 

I'll state this one more time. I bought devices (Rokus) that were designed for a purpose (streaming the content that I want). Since I cannot stream all of the content that I want on my Rokus anymore, those devices are no longer performing up to par for me. That's it. That's all. Whoever is to blame does not matter at all.

The devices no longer perform up to par.

Or to quote @RoyBatty again, "people just want a solution that meets their requirements."


The idea that who is to blame does not matter is short-sighted and only true if no matter who wins the customer experience will not change. You can say that we don't know that it will, or that we don't know which party will give us the better customer experience in the long term. To which I would counter that we know the decades long history or Warner and Comcast as cable and Internet providers, which is probably a good indicator of what direction they are trying to take us. And we could counter and counter-counter a few more times and probably not change anyone's mind, because at this point we're all pretty much decided. Kind of like the presidential election. Whether you support Trump or Biden, it's unlikely anything will change your mind at this point. 


@Paddypods I read this and realized it did not sound the way I intended. The 'your' means all of us, not just you.

0 Kudos
Paddypods
Level 10

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Paddypods wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@RoyBatty wrote:

The fact is they are missing the point. It is not about assigning blame, people just want a solution that meets their requirements. Clearly many will change platforms and the corporations will make their business decisions accordingly.


Your wording belies your intent. If it is just about a solution you would be encouraging people to fuss at ATT  and Univeral as well as Roku. I have said several time that Roku is not blameless, but I also know the history of the other companies involved, and deserting Roku looks like exactly what they would want, based on that history. If they can break Roku, they will do this with every platform out there, and you have helped bring into reality the very problem you claim you want to avoid.


I think you entirely missed the point @RoyBatty was making. For many of us, including myself, assigning blame is meaningless. Encouraging people here to fuss at other companies is pointless. This is the Roku forum, not the AT&T nor Comcast forum, so there is no need for me to vent my frustration with those companies here. Yes, I happen to believe that Roku wants more than its fair share unlike its past deals, but it really doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong. 

I'll state this one more time. I bought devices (Rokus) that were designed for a purpose (streaming the content that I want). Since I cannot stream all of the content that I want on my Rokus anymore, those devices are no longer performing up to par for me. That's it. That's all. Whoever is to blame does not matter at all.

The devices no longer perform up to par.

Or to quote @RoyBatty again, "people just want a solution that meets their requirements."


The idea that who is to blame does not matter is short-sighted and only true if no matter who wins the customer experience will not change. You can say that we don't know that it will, or that we don't know which party will give us the better customer experience in the long term. To which I would counter that we know the decades long history or Warner and Comcast as cable and Internet providers, which is probably a good indicator of what direction they are trying to take us. And we could counter and counter-counter a few more times and probably not change anyone's mind, because at this point we're all pretty much decided. Kind of like the presidential election. Whether you support Trump or Biden, it's unlikely anything will change your mind at this point. 


@Paddypods I read this and realized it did not sound the way I intended. The 'your' means all of us, not just you.


I appreciate the clarification, but you are correct that nothing will change my mind at this point. Not about who is to blame. I'm always open to new information changing my point of view. I doubt anyone will convince me that Roku hasn't changed its business model, because I see a very clear pattern of gatekeeping that I believe will not stop, but I acknowledge that it's possible. What definitely will not change is that I have moved on from Roku.

I have already replaced my dumb TV in the living room with a Samsung, which does not yet carry Peacock TV. The Roku Ultra is hooked up to it as a back-up but is starting to gather dust. The Firestick I initially bought for the bedroom TCL (with both HBO Max and Peacock TV sideloaded onto it) is hooked up to the Samsung now so I can enjoy Peacock TV in the living room. Last night, I ordered a second Firestick for the TCL, so I will finally be able to enjoy both Peacock TV and HBO Max in the bedroom.

Also yesterday, I unsubscribed to all of these threads, so I no longer get the daily digest email. (I'm only replying to this because you mentioned me.) I've posted everything I have to say on this subject.

Goodbye, and good luck to you all.

Elmer_Fudd_Gant
Level 9

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

Agreed.  It's silly that all of these folks not 'in the know' seem to be assigning blame.  More are assigning blame to Roku than the HBO - AT&T.  In my mind ... this is short-sighted.  We have one company with a sordid history of lack of concern for the consumer or outright sticking it to them and we have one with no such history.  Yet ... these not in the knows want to blame the company that has the better history.  I am kind of a devils advocate kind of person.  I tend to try to understand the reasoning for opposing viewpoints so I can make a more informed decision... or simply be more informed.  In any case... I am not taking sides ... but simply pointing out that one of these companies has earned our skepticism and the other has earned the benefit of the doubt.  

You aptly describe the 3 options.  Option 3 may be the best short term decision.  Option 1 the best long term decision.  If you are playing for watching what you want to watch right now ... go for option 3.  If too many follow you to that decision... we may all be paying for it later.  If Roku is, indeed, standing up to the tyrant ... you would be taking your place on the side of higher prices, poorer service and less support so that you can watch Love Life right now.  For me... option 1 is more than fine.  There is plenty of good content scattered around the services and plenty on the free services as well.  Far more than I can ever get to.  I'm happy to re-prioritize material towards the material readily available.  AT&T has already missed the best window they had for signing up new customers by leaving 75% of the streamers out of it.  They now think that Roku will 'cave' come Christmas.  They have said as much.  Kinda sounds like the kind of company that will make us pay for any caving down the road.

amycup
Level 7

Get Peacock and HBO Max On Platform Already!!!!!!

Jump to solution

I paid my hard earned money for roku devices that should be giving me access to streaming channels, and in exchange Roku saves my activity and utilizes my engagement and behavior through data to make money of off of me. Similarly, I pay to get access or watch ads within the streaming experience to get content from WarnerMedia and NBC. I paid my money on both ends for access. WarnerMedia and NBC are ready to give me access, and the company that is refusing it is Roku because...why? You can't make the data and advertising model work? Maybe it would work better if you actually made the channels consumers want available like you claim to so we don't have to watch through other means. I'm moving from my roku tv to my xbox one to stream - another consumer data set lost because you assume we won't find solutions elsewhere. Most of us already have competitor devices in our homes!!! YOU KNOW THIS. 

3 roku TVs, 2 roku boxes and one roku stick later...I am beyond disappointed in this company and over this **bleep**. You guys are crazy if you think your UI will save you long term. Your competitors will eventually crack the code on a UI experience that is as good as yours and unhappy consumers will leave. I'm keeping my eyes out for a new integrated TV experience I like and will gladly replace my electronics once it arrives.

You have a narrow window of opportunity to turn this around and I suggest you take it. 

Rhett57
Level 7

Re: Get Peacock and HBO Max On Platform Already!!!!!!

Jump to solution

Amen.  Paying the full 14.99 for old HBO.  Give us HBO Max, get er done.  Its been months.  At least put out info on what the deal is (besides money - are you close?).  

Eamarille
Level 8

Re: Roku either adds Peacock or lose me as a customer/promoter

Jump to solution

Why not just add on to the Roku experience by adding Android TV boxes instead of replacing them all? 

Replacing your tv because of this is a dumb idea. The main reason why I say this is because Android tvs have been known NOT to get updated as frequently as Roku TV's. I mean, the choice is yours, but I think you should do some more research.

boogernose
Level 18

Re: Roku either adds Peacock or lose me as a customer/promoter

Jump to solution

Because that makes far too much sense.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
demsd
Level 13

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

@D007 wrote:

When HBO Max launched in May and wasn't available on Roku I gave Roku the benefit of the doubt and figured AT&T was more to blame in the dispute.  I even contacted AT&T to complain.  But now we're in July - still no HBO Max on Roku - now Peacock isn't available either.  What gives Roku?  I understand this is about ads, sharing profits, user data, etc. but at some point you have to be flexible and give a little.  We purchase Roku devices to be able to access different streaming channels.  While I love Roku devices, I'm not going to be able to justify continuing to use them if they don't carry multiple, major streaming channels.  Please negotiate with AT&T and NBC in good faith and find a way for your devoted users to access these channels.


Tubi, Crackle, PlutoTV, STIRR, YuYu, Xumo are among hundreds of ad supported channels... and Roku needs to be more flexible?

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
demsd
Level 13

Re: DO NOT LET HBO MAX and NBC CHARGE YOU TO USE YOUR PLATFORM!

Jump to solution

@Avalon1024 wrote:

You cannot get HBO MAX or Peacock through Roku right now and the question we should all be asking ourselves is "why"? If new premium subscription services do not want to play nice with Roku, WE suffer the consequences not Roku. Roku already has my money for the 6+ sticks I have bought in the last two years. I dont think I'll be buying anymore because they do me no good if I cannot access what I want.


You get it. So unfortunate that most don't.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
demsd
Level 13

Re: First HBO Max, Now Peacock... Roku needs to be more flexible

Jump to solution

@Up2NoGood wrote:

Roku really needs to get their **bleep** together because this is getting old.  What good is owning a Roku device if they keep playing hardball with the streaming providers?  The only people losing out in the whole debacle are the paying customers.  I don't like Chromecast but at least they aren't withholding content like Roku and Amazon.  It's not even worth it to own either device anymore. I will never buy another Roku product again.


You have no clue. It's disconcerting that thus far 45 other people also have no clue.

Roku already has your money. Buy other devices and put us all out of our misery already.

Roku Ultra 4670X
40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos