Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nigelb72
Level 7

Discovery Plus UK

Jump to solution

Hi, does anyone know when Discovery+ will be added in the UK? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Discovery Plus UK

Jump to solution

@Nigelb72 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
EntropicNinja
Level 8

Jump to solution

Curious about this I found your post and the following saying at some point this year. 

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020/11/12/discovery-goes-live-in-the-uk/

I find it odd that America has the app on launch day but Sky gets a small exclusive even though they have those channels already available.... 

0 Kudos
Nigelb72
Level 7

Jump to solution

It sounds like Sky have gone for a period of exclusivity. We've got Discovery and some other channels via NowTV but we want Discovery+ for the back catalogue and exclusives programming and also MotorTrend content. It gets on my nerves when sky does this but it's even more annoying that Discovery appear to be lying about it.

EntropicNinja
Level 8

Jump to solution

Indeed.

Just as I cut the cord with sky after 8 years! Typical Murdoc move. 

0 Kudos
SophiaJarrett
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’ve found a way of watching it on Roku. I’ve downloaded a casting app (it’s a blue coloured app called TV cast R) on my phone that links to my Roku stick then casting the discovery+ webpage through that. 

this doesn’t work on my more modern Roku box. But work on an older stick 

0 Kudos
EntropicNinja
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've considered that move though somehow neither my pixel 2 nor 4a feel like being able to cast to my older 4k stick nor the new 2020 4k stick I just got. And they are pure android!!🙄

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Nigelb72 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DJDevil13
Level 7

Jump to solution

You can use airplay to cast it to a compatible roku device.  I know the streaming stick plus and roku ultra have AirPlay.   That’s how I’m currently doing it and it works fantastic (not as good as a dedicated app) but oh well.

0 Kudos
Twelfth72
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've contacted Discovery and they say will hope to be available on Roku later in the year

EntropicNinja
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for going that extra mile. I had read the same info before but its good to get it from the horses mouth. 

I do wonder why sky get the exclusive rights to their content making them withhold the roku app. Especially when the services is viewable via a web browser.

0 Kudos