Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jryan6201
Level 7

Constant Re-Activating channels, ESPN is daily.

I have to reactivate most of my channels all the time. Any ideas what is going on?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Constant Re-Activating channels, ESPN is daily.

Unfortunately that completely out of the control of Roku. It's one of two things, either the channel/app isn't connecting correctly to the authentication server (so it's an app problem) or the server that provides the authentication (either the cable/satellite company or again whomever is responsible for the app) is acting up. If it's multiple apps that all authenticate against your cable/satellite account, it's probably a server issue. Your first place to complain is whomever created the apps that can't log in, such as ESPN. Roku themselves develops and maintains almost none of the apps available on a Roku device. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

The only other possibility that comes to mind is account credentials sharing. More and more are cracking down on credentials being used across locations. If that's not it, Dan's suggestions are the most likely cause.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
thetick
Level 8

I'll just comment Roku has allowed authentication to be a HUGE hassle every time accessing content.  Roku really needs a standard (monthly) authorization that works across all Roku apps and subscription TV services.   I'm not saying it easy to do but an authentication standard for the platform would make for a very enjoyable service.  

Seriously it is such a pain to always re-authenticate that is just easier to Chromecast as need to use a PC to constantly authenticate with the Roku.  

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the notes here. 

As @atc98092 mentioned, each channel specifies the term length for their authentication systems inside their channel on the Roku platform. 

However, if you are running into an issue such as described with ESPN requiring daily re-authentication, I would recommend:

1.  Removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key, and choosing 'Remove channel'.
2. Then, restart your Roku device from Settings>System>System restart. 
3. Once your device restarts, add the channel back once more from 'Streaming channels' on the home screen. 

If you are still encountering an issue with channel authentication from there, you'll want to follow up directly with the channel provider to report the issue you're encountering and request additional assistance. There are a number of other factors specific to each channel that could potentially cause the type of behavior you're describing which would need to be investigated by the channel provider themselves. 

Please feel free to PM me if you need any additional help and I'll see what I can do to assist you. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
zielkj
Level 7

Thanks Tanner.   Issue I'm having is the different boxes are needing their channels activated at different times.  For example, my TCL tv is fine on the SCIgo channel but upstairs in my bedroom, the premiere is asking for activation. The 3500 I have in the family room apparently has an even different schedule.
Is this normal?  I have to carry my laptop around to chase these activation requests and it's annoying.

Would resetting as you described above on each box help?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would recommend contacting any channel provider directly for more guidance about how their specific channel works. Different channels may have differing functionality. Often, each device is authenticated separately for each service. This is at the discretion of the channel provider. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

Nope.  It's a complete mess with Roku just blaming the content providers.  Seriously get a Chromecast as it is far less effort as at least with my Verizon  authentication the PC remembers the credentials an one button to push on PC/laptop to cast.

The real problem here is that no one from Roku is able to provide a simpler method for re-authentication.  I have been asking for years and all I get is crickets chirping.

An idea implantation would be op-in automatic save login details for your service provider.  In which case as long as you paid your bill the Roku would be able to re-authenticate with your designed provider all automatically.  This would be a very satisfying user experience and I believe would make Roku a viable platform.

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
toondog
Level 7

I have the same problem with IFC and BBC America apps.  I can activate the app but after exiting the app I have to reactivate the app when going back to the app.

0 Kudos