Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie5
Level 7

Can I add Chanels without a cable subscription?

Jump to solution

I just added a few channels for the first time.  Abc, own, etc.  But it says something about having a cable subscription to be able to watch them.  Do I need cable to watch these on roku? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I add Chanels without a cable subscription?

Jump to solution

You need a subscription, but not necessarily a cable one. Depending on the channel, some will accept a subscription through YouTube TV, Hulu, or Sling TV. But some will only work with an actual cable/satellite subscription.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You need a subscription, but not necessarily a cable one. Depending on the channel, some will accept a subscription through YouTube TV, Hulu, or Sling TV. But some will only work with an actual cable/satellite subscription.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

It depends on the channel.  Some are free/ad supported, some require paid subscriptions to the individual service, some are content that would be included with a cable subscription and need to be activated with your cable login.

0 Kudos