Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Avoid premium channels through roku channel if possible, right?

I just got my Roku Ultra less than a week ago and am still figuring things out.  I took advantage of the free 30 day trials of Stars and Showtime, through The Roku Channel.  I don't know if I could have gotten the same 30 day free trial directly through the Stars and Showtime websites, but I see there are two options available on the Roku for watching Stars and Showtime.  One is the direct app, the other is the one through the Roku channel.  If I subscribed directly, it seems that I could see these premium channels anywhere, through my Tivo, or Comcast box, my phone, my tablets and my computer.  Yes, I see that The Roku Channel is available to me online in the USA, but apparently not if I'm traveling outside of the country (although with the situation, who knows when that will happen again).

So, anyway, it appears to me that there's no advantage to getting these premium channels through The Roku Channel, and there are some disadvantages.  But, I'm new, so it is very possible I've overlooked something and I'm asking for any insight.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Avoid premium channels through roku channel if possible, right?

My advice is to always go direct to the source if possible.  Just look at all the threads in the Accounts, Billing, & Orders section complaining about the notoriously horrible customer service.  If you have a problem with your subscription it's much easier to work with the provider than Roku.

Highlighted
Level 16

My four paid subscriptions are all directly with the providers, not through Roku, so I could be talking through my hat here, but I don't think so.

I can only think of one reason to purchase premium channels through Roku -- some minor degree of convenience.  Your billing all comes from one place, and you don't have to keep track of a bunch of different accounts and logins.

Otherwise, each additional company you put in the stream adds one more chance for something to get screwed up.  If billing problems arise, inevitably each party points fingers at the other one.

I think you're also correct that if you subscribe directly with the channel you can watch on ANY device for which the channel has an app, not just via The Roku Channel on your Roku.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

I am also frustrated that I cannot log into the Starz or Showtime sites.  They'd let me use my email address, if I'd signed up directly, or through my "provider", but they don't have Roku listed as a provider.  For example, I can't use their sites to search/browse for content I'd like.  Yes, I know, I can use my Roku account, but my desktop would be preferable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Cancel your subscriptions with Roku. I expect they'll stay active til your month runs out but should not auto-renew. I'd wait 'til this actually happens, having seen all the billing complaints in this forum, but when they go dark, take out new subscriptions directly with the channels.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

On the other hand, I'm posting this as KUDOS to Roku, for allowing their site to have critical comments.  Really, that's increasingly rare.  Maybe it shows a commitment to free speech.  Maybe it shows a desire for kaizen (constant improvement) because they want to become aware of what is making people unhappy.  Whatever the reason, I appreciate it. 

0 Kudos