Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pabulous
Level 7

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

The lack of framerate switching for Netflix is literally the only thing stopping me from buying my first Roku. I don't see the problem: it was optional, but even if it wasn't, it can be worked around - I don't spend that much time in the Netflix menu anyway.

I hope Roku reconsider its removal because it's a unique selling point and it's turning away potential customers like me.

0 Kudos
aussieab
Level 7

Jump to solution

6 months since the original issue was flagged and it sill persists (e.g., watch Crown on Roku Ultra with jerky video). Netflix say they have no record of the issue, and have open a ticket to investigate. Any word from your end?

0 Kudos
Wintergarden2
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm the original poster for this thread. This issue has not been resolved and now, it seems, Roku has decided to eliminate 24p from Hulu, as well.

This issue is not on the Netflix app and their people. The roku firmware updates specify to not recognize the 24p flag for the Netflix app, specifically, and now Roku, too.

Many have suggested that Roku should implement some simple steps so that those who want 24p on two of their most popular apps can get 24p. Roku has chosen to ignore us. I'm not thrilled about a new Roku unit on my next TV. I am thrilled about using the TV maker's own app ecosystem to enjoy 24p and 25p within their apps, though.

0 Kudos
SRKirk88
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yea, I'm quite disappointed to find out Roku has removed this feature. I have only just bought a roku streamstick + as the built in netflix app in my sony ag8 oled tv doesn't display dolby vision content correctly (firmware between android oreo OS and netflix), plus I'm not keen on the android OS in the tv and picture seems alot sharper through the roku stick, so this product would be perfect if they hadn't remove this feature. All other apps seem to frame rate switch with no issues. With the BBC iplayer app, the frame rate doesn't switch until you start to stream the program, why couldn't roku implement a system like that for the Netflix app?

I sent an email to roku expressing my dissatisfaction, the more of us send emails about it, hopefully something will get done.

However, for those who have sony tvs, I find setting motion flow to True cinema and film mode to high. Seems to help remove the judder and makes motion run smoother with netflix content.

0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 11

Re: 24fps not working on Netflix (and Hulu)

Jump to solution

Yeah, I found the ability to stream at 24Hz to my sets was an unexpected feature when I bought an Ultra early last month and tried Hulu + Live. Live was at 60Hz, but the on demand stuff at 24Hz looked so good I cancelled AT&T Uverse right away. A couple of weeks and a firmware upgrade later, Hulu no longer streamed at native frame rate. I was considering dropping them and adding Netflix, until I saw this.

I mentioned this to Hulu support chat, last response was that they're working on it; now I see that Roku is responsible. I really hope that they are working on delivering 24 fps content without a lot of flashing screens as framerates change because of ads or menus. I'm hoping Roku is playing hardball in demanding redesigned apps because if they allow us to use it as is, nothing will change. But I just wish someone at Roku or Hulu or Netflix would SAY new apps are coming to better support changing framerates, because right now that's just speculation on my part. Without an explanation, it's just a Roku feature that doesn't work. 

BTW, I'm referring to 24fps streams output at a 24Hz refresh rate. 24p would be super low resolution...

O.K., I'm gonna correct that last line. 24p is shorthand for 24 progressive frames per second, just like 60i is 60 interlaced fields, etc. My bad.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: 24fps not working on Netflix (and Hulu)

Jump to solution

@BarneyF wrote:

Yeah, I found the ability to stream at 24Hz to my sets was an unexpected feature when I bought an Ultra early last month and tried Hulu + Live. Live was at 60Hz, but the on demand stuff at 24Hz looked so good I cancelled AT&T Uverse right away. A couple of weeks and a firmware upgrade later, Hulu no longer streamed at native frame rate. I was considering dropping them and adding Netflix, until I saw this.

I mentioned this to Hulu support chat, last response was that they're working on it; now I see that Roku is responsible. I really hope that they are working on delivering 24 fps content without a lot of flashing screens as framerates change because of ads or menus. I'm hoping Roku is playing hardball in demanding redesigned apps because if they allow us to use it as is, nothing will change. But I just wish someone at Roku or Hulu or Netflix would SAY new apps are coming to better support changing framerates, because right now that's just speculation on my part. Without an explanation, it's just a Roku feature that doesn't work. 

BTW, I'm referring to 24fps streams output at a 24Hz refresh rate. 24p would be super low resolution...

I'm not aware that Roku made any such change with Hulu. Yes, they removed framerate matching on Netflix, mainly because of all the complaints of screen flashing every time Netflix began a video preview. I for one despised it (the video preview playback) so much I cancelled Netflix. But I don't use Hulu so can't say for sure they did the same thing with them. If Hulu has auto-play of background videos, it's possible they did. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 11

Jump to solution

@noggin wrote:
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

I just had a long chat with Netflix customer support who escalated.  They confirmed - at the level I reached - that they believe this is a Roku decision to disable frame rate switching in Netflix, and not a Netflix change.  I've logged with Roku as well, and Netflix have asked me to go back to them if I get no suitable response from Roku.

Netflix just added an option to disable autoplay in previews, independent of autoplay next episode in a series. Is this enough for Roku to output at an appropriate refresh rate for Netflix?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102

I noticed that the Hulu channel updated for me today. Don't know what changed, but my Roku still won't auto-adjust the refresh for titles that it used to.

SRKirk88
Level 9

Jump to solution

Just seen this as well. Hopefully roku will reinstate frame rate matching for netflix now.

roo
Level 7

Jump to solution

As you say Netflix have given us the ability to switch of auto preview, so come on Roku give us back our smooth 23.976 frames/s playback

0 Kudos
BarneyF
Level 11

Re: 24p not working on Netflix (and Hulu)

Jump to solution

@SRKirk88 wrote:

Just seen this as well. Hopefully roku will reinstate frame rate matching for netflix now.

Not likely, they just added Hulu to the $h!t list:

"The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting is not available for content from Netflix or Hulu."

I asked via email if they would fix it, or add Hulu to the exception at

https://support.roku.com/article/115012823268-how-to-change-the-display-refresh-rate-to-match-the-na...

and they never responded. But it has been added.

So now the judder is baked in with a 60Hz refresh and I can't get rid of it. I suppose CBS All Access will be next. It seems that Roku thinks that screen flashing because ad framerates differ from the main content means we'd prefer to eliminate the flashing by making the main content look like $h!t. There's got to be a better way.

Maybe Roku can get the providers to provide ads at the same framerate as the main content, and not switch framerate for previews, but why are we forced to view garbage in the meantime?

For now I'll keep my eye on that page I linked to and avoid any provider in that list. I'll wait for Netflix to drop before I add them, and if Hulu isn't removed by the time I've finished with a series I'm binging, I'll drop them. Or should I just be using something other than Roku?

0 Kudos