Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Planecrazysam
Reel Rookie

Roku wireless outdoor camera work without base

I am considering purchasing the Roku wireless outdoor camera, the only problem is my router doesn't have an Ethernet port out(starlink router). Can I use the wireless outdoor camera without the base?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku wireless outdoor camera work without base

Hi @Planecrazysam,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're happy to assist you with your inquiry about setting up a wireless outdoor camera. Your outdoor camera includes everything you need to get started: a base station, power adaptor, USB cable, Ethernet cable, and mounting hardware. They work together, and you cannot connect them without the base since your base station connects to a 12V/1A power outlet. To charge your camera, connect it to the USB port on your base station or a power outlet that provides 5V/2A. The base station must be connected to your router using the Ethernet cable to set up your outdoor camera. After setting up your base station using a wired connection, you can switch it to Wi-Fi. Using a 2.4 GHz wireless network connection with the WPA/WPA2 security standard, your camera connects to your base station. You can check out this link here for more details on how you can set up Roku Outdoor Camera SE.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Boompa

So it’s not compatible with Starlink?  I wish I had known that before I bought it…

0 Kudos
Zorro1953
Streaming Star

This is correct, once set up, you can connect the base station to your internet via Wi-Fi. What puzzles me is why the wireless outdoor cam needs a base station at all. The reply from @RokuEuniceL implies that it is needed in order to charge the camera, but I have never charged the cam with the base station - I just use any old USB charger and it works just fine. The wired outdoor cams don't utilize a base station, so it's curious that the wireless cam is so different. I view the base station as just one more device sitting around someplace taking up space and collecting dust.

0 Kudos