Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angry1

Indoor 360 camera won't connect, I have an open wi-fi network

Jump to solution

I cannot get my 360 indoor camera to connect.

I live in a rural area, and my home wi-fi has no password.  I have no neighbors within 1/4 mile.

When trying to connect, I select my home network, then I leave the password area for the network blank, and move to the next step, but the camera fails to connect after this every time.
This is a brand new camera, and the first time I've ever tried to connect a Roku device.

Nowhere in your "Help" articles does it address what to do when the home wi-fi has no password necessary.

What do you put in that field when you have no password?
Or, if leaving it blank is the right choice, then why will it not connect?

All my other devices connect to my home wi-fi with no trouble, and do not need a password.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Indoor 360 camera won't connect, I have an open wi-fi network

Jump to solution

Hello @Hanson98,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate your reaching out about your Roku camera not connecting to an open Wi-Fi network. We're pleased to assist you.

We understand that you don't need a password for your Wi-Fi network, but Roku Cameras require a secured connection for the device to work. Failure to use a secure network may result in your camera being disconnected from the internet.

Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Angry1,

Thanks for taking your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused. We understand that you are having an issue connecting your Roku camera to your home WiFi, and we would like to know more about how we can help. Do you see any error codes or messages?

Please note that your camera needs a 2.4GHz wireless network connection with the WPA/WPA2 security standard.

For more detailed information on setting up your Roku Indoor camera, visit our Support article.

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hanson98

Jump to solution

I had the exact same issue!!! I live in the middle of no where so I don't need a password on my wifi. Got this brand new camera and it wont connect at all... we tested the waters and put a password on our wifi and our camera worked!!! We took off the password shortly after to see, and camera quit working an won't connect. Im trying to figure out how to get it to work without a wifi password because I dont want a password. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Hanson98,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate your reaching out about your Roku camera not connecting to an open Wi-Fi network. We're pleased to assist you.

We understand that you don't need a password for your Wi-Fi network, but Roku Cameras require a secured connection for the device to work. Failure to use a secure network may result in your camera being disconnected from the internet.

Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.