Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
L10Alton
Level 7

Can NOT Sign in to Roku account

I can NOT Sign in to my Roku account AND i keep getting this message.

"The email address or password provided does not match our records. Tip: You can verify your Roku account email address from your device by visiting Settings."

Things I have already done.
> I already reset my password
> I can NOT go to "Settings" because I am stuck on "ROKU | Activate your Roku"

TV samsung LN32B360
Roku 2 XS model# 3100X 
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Can NOT Sign in to Roku account

Is this a brand new box, or did you reset it? Try doing a hard reset (can't tell you where the reset button is because you didn't identify your Roku). 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
L10Alton
Level 7

This is an old box "Roku 2 XS", I did a factory reset and also did the needle poke reset.

TV samsung LN32B360
Roku 2 XS model# 3100X 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Oh, ouch. The 2 XS (I have two) is a very old box, and it's possible that you have encountered a fault. You could try the hard reset, but my honest opinion is that it's time to replace the box. The 2 XS is woefully underpowered, and I don't even know if it will be supported come Jan 1 when Roku depreciates their old programming language. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

While what Dan said is true, the actual device should have no impact on your ability to log in to your Roku account via a Web browser.

Are you attempting to use a mobile device or a computer? On mobile devices, sometimes the default browsers don't work as well. You might want to ensure you are using either Firefox, Chrome, or Edge, all three of which are available on iOS and Android. 

Regardless, on both mobile or computer,  sometimes the browser will remember your password and fill it in for you. Sometimes, this could even overwrite what you typed in. If you have the ability to look at your browser settings for stored passwords, check to see if your browser is storing the password for Roku.com and, if so, delete that entry/entries.

Some password managers will also overwrite things you type in. LastPass is particularly guilty of this behavior. At least, it was, and that contributed to my switching to a different password manager. Disable any password manager plugins as you attempt to change  your password.

Once that's done, if you have the ability to remove cookies from your browser, remove any and all cookies that contain "roku" in the domain. Also remove any related Local Storage, if that option is available.

Once that is done, try to log in to Roku on your browser (preferably by computer until this gets resolved). Write down what you think your password should be. Then write down a new password if you have to change it. Ensure it follows Roku's password rules.

Now, actually begin the process. First, go to https://my.roku.com and attempt to log in to your Roku account with your current password. If it fails, don't try again. Simply click "Forgot password" and enter your email address on the page that displays. Don't forget to check the "I'm not a robot" box if presented. Submit it.

Next, open your email app. You should have an email from Roku with the subject "Roku | Forgot Password" that contains a password reset link. Click the link, and notice if it opens a tab in the same browser you were using, or if it opens a different browser.

If it opens a different browser (you were using Chrome and it opens Internet Explorer or Safari, for example), close that browser and go back to your email. Highlight and copy the link from the email. Paste it into a text editor and make sure there are no spaces in it. If not, paste the link into a new tab on the browser you were using.

You'll be prompted for a new password. Enter the new password you wrote down earlier. Make sure you write it exactly, as passwords are case sensitive. Once you've entered it in both fields, and ensured it knows you aren't a robot, submit the new password. If it accepts it, it will prompt  you to log in.

If anything doesn't respond as indicated or expected, stop. Let us know exactly where it broke down.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
L10Alton
Level 7

@Basil

I use a computer, I will post my PC specs below.
I deleted DATA from both Chrome and Firefox, and tried logging in and still got the same message.
By this time I have reset password 3 times, using a different password each time.
I don't use autofill or password save, because multiple people use this PC.

"The email address or password provided does not match our records. Tip: You can verify your Roku account email address from your device by visiting Settings."

My Rig
Manufacturer - L10Alton on May/05/2015
Processor - Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory - (2x8GB) RAM DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
Storage - (240GB SSD) (640GB HDD)
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 @ 1215MHz
Monitor - Samsung S22C300 21.5" 1920 x 1080 @ 77hz
Sound Card - Realtek High Definition Audio
Headphones - Logitech H110
Keyboard - Logitech MK120 @ 125hz
Mouse - Logitech M100 @ 1000hz 
Mouse Surface - 3$ Walmart Mouse Pad
Operating System - Windows 8.1
Motherboard - ASRock Z97 Anniversary Edition
Computer Case - Modded ATX Case
Power Supply - OCZ 500W
Network Adapter - TPLink TG3468 Gigabit PCI Express
https://www.twitch.tv/l10alton
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"L10Alton" wrote:
@Basil

I use a computer, I will post my PC specs below.
I deleted DATA from both Chrome and Firefox, and tried logging in and still got the same message.
By this time I have reset password 3 times, using a different password each time.
I don't use autofill or password save, because multiple people use this PC.

Thanks for the response. You are summarizing a lot of steps in your response, and that opens things up to individual interpretation. I may think you meant one thing, and you may have meant something else, which can waste lots of troubleshooting time. Please explicitly state that you followed the steps I suggested, or that you didn't follow those steps. If you "sorta followed" it would be helpful to know which you did and which you didn't.

Specifically, it appears to me that you followed the removal of cookies and Local Storage on Chrome and Firefox. That's good.

Are you saying that you did submit your email address, and that Roku returned an email address to you along the line of
Please click or paste the link below into your internet browser to reset your password.

https://my.roku.com/password/reset/complete?token=[BigLongStringOfData]

Are you saying that you did click that, were presented with a new password box, upon submission received a confirmation that it had been accepted, told to log in, and the new password did not work? All of that? Not most of that, but all?

Just wanting to be sure before we send you to Roku to open a ticket.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
L10Alton
Level 7

@Basil
I did this one
"Are you saying that you did click that, were presented with a new password box, upon submission received a confirmation that it had been accepted, told to log in, and the new password did not work? All of that? Not most of that, but all?"
I'm sorry, I will try to be more detailed in my sentences.
And i just noticed your avatar, looks pretty cool, its like your in a movie scene. Oh and the Disney story from your blog was a fun read to.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Thanks. And sorry about the asking for clarification. I just wanted to be sure before we suggested Roku will have to get involved.

You have two options, neither are great.

The quickest resolution is to simply create a new Roku account using a different email address. Just log out in your browser, remove Roku cookies and Local Storage, and click Create Account. Like I said, you'll need a second email address that you'll now use for Roku. That should solve the immediate issue of not being able to log in, because a new account will be totally separate from the old.

The other option is to call Roku Support and get them to open a ticket. Keep it, as if it's not resolved in a couple of days, you'll want RokuShawnS to jump in and escalate.

There is one other troubleshooting step we can try. I have a spare Roku account set up for this very purpose. Here's how this would work:

I'd PM you the ID/password of this test Roku account. You'd attempt to log in with those credentials, not yours, but mine that I PM you. I've logged into it today, did password resets to confirm everything is working, and have it ready for you to use to test if you like.

If you are successful, there's nothing on your network infrastructure that would interfere, and it's something with the actual account. And, if you are successful, don't change anything, just log back out and let me know the results.

If you are unable to log in with those credentials, something on your end is interfering, which is a whole 'nuther problem.

If you want to try that last troubleshooting step, PM me and I'll work offline with you from there. I will report the results here for those that might have input, or have a similar issue.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
L10Alton
Level 7

@atc98092