Accounts, Billing, & Orders

Assistance with managing your Roku account on device or on the web, logging into my.roku.com, billing or subscription questions, www.roku.com orders, promotions, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 21

Re: Registration Fee

Jump to solution

@streamer2021 wrote:

I just went through the same thing and can confirm that the number is appearing on screen when my attempt to link to my account failed.  I spoke with three representatives and they insisted that they work for Roku and that the fee for registration is new since "the lockdown".  The number is 805-472-4785 and the reps names were Gilbert Hamilton and Dave.  The whole thing sounded suspect and I never paid anything but they said that the registration was discounted to $49.99 only until midnight tonight and after that will be $99.99.

They were scammers. There is no fee to register your Roku. Make sure you go to https://my.roku.com/link to register your new device. When you started typing the address into your browser, it offered suggestions of sites to go to. Those suggestions were scam sites, not the real Roku site.

Roku does not provide phone assistance for registering their devices. Those numbers are not appearing on the TV screen from the Roku, they are on the phony web site when your registration "fails". Go to the correct web site and it will link up just fine, and it won't cost anything. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Additional charges for two Roku Streaming devices?

Jump to solution

When I bought my second roku device, it wouldn't activate so I called the help desk number  my phone gave me. The lady on the other end helped me to set up my box but told me that my 6 month trial had ended and that I would have to pay 99.00 for two devices for three years of service, or 179.00 to have unlimited service. I about cried because I bought a Roku to save money and I don't have that kind of extra money lying around. I told the woman that I didn't get paid for another week, and she gave me a number to call in a week and said that my rokus would work until then. I came here to pay the 99.00, but I couldn't find a link to pay it. Support led me here, and I am so grateful to find out that this was a scam!

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Additional charges for two Roku Streaming devices?

Jump to solution

@AudraM wrote:

When I bought my second roku device, it wouldn't activate so I called the help desk number  my phone gave me. The lady on the other end helped me to set up my box but told me that my 6 month trial had ended and that I would have to pay 99.00 for two devices for three years of service, or 179.00 to have unlimited service. I about cried because I bought a Roku to save money and I don't have that kind of extra money lying around. I told the woman that I didn't get paid for another week, and she gave me a number to call in a week and said that my rokus would work until then. I came here to pay the 99.00, but I couldn't find a link to pay it. Support led me here, and I am so grateful to find out that this was a scam!

Glad you found out before paying them. If they call you back, tell them you know they are doing something fraudulently, and threaten legal action if they call again. They won't. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Reset Roku to factory default

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for that reply!  I knew something could not have been right.  The bottom line is that I was having a bandwidth issue.  And then a support call phone number would come up and I would call that.  I believe they were indeed scammers.  I corrected the bandwidth issue, did ANOTHER factory reset and was able to get my device activated.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Level 19

Re: Trying to set up a Sharp/Roku TV and Roku is wanting $70 to upgrade my account?

Jump to solution

You aren't dealing with Roku, you're dealing with a scammer that is impersonating Roku to swindle you.

IMPORTANT! When linking your device you are directed to go to roku.com/link.  Type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up at a scammer's fake Roku site. If you end up at ANY non-roku.com site (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

I was attempting to to change my wi fi password for my new router using the ROkU settings from the TV. It wouldn’t let me do it. The ROKU  TV screen itself directed me to a website that led me to directly to a chat room where I thought I was talking to a ROKU person. They charged me 69.99 for their service. I knew ROKU didn’t charge to set up the original service, but I wasn’t sure about this type of change. I guess now I’ve been scammed. I was so proud of myself for avoiding scams for so long (I’m 74)! ☹️

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Activation or Support Scam

Jump to solution

@Riolomas wrote:

I was attempting to to change my wi fi password for my new router using the ROkU settings from the TV. It wouldn’t let me do it. The ROKU  TV screen itself directed me to a website that led me to directly to a chat room where I thought I was talking to a ROKU person. They charged me 69.99 for their service. I knew ROKU didn’t charge to set up the original service, but I wasn’t sure about this type of change. I guess now I’ve been scammed. I was so proud of myself for avoiding scams for so long (I’m 74)! ☹️

Sorry to hear that. Change your password on your Roku user account immediately, and then contact your credit card provider and contest the charge. Tell them they charged you under fraudulent conditions, and they should be happy to assist. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 7

A scam on Roku

Jump to solution

Hi I was trying to activate my sons new device I don’t phone number popped up saying I could not activate it because I had too many Rouk’s  in my household,I only have three and I said that I needed to pay $80 so I could set up an activate his device what I found out that it was a scam and I cannot get my money back no matter how hard I try I don’t think it’s fair that I should have I should get my money back. I have talk to customerSupport but there’s something like for helpingThere’s a few phone numbers that called me saying they are from Rouk support,It seems like it’s the same person that I’m talking to so I do not know what Rouk real number. Who is actually customer support for Rouk.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: A scam on Roku

Jump to solution

You reached a scam site when you were entering the web address to activate the new device. There is no charge for multiple devices, nor for Roku user accounts. The genuine web address to link a device is https://my.roku.com/link

If you gave them a payment via credit card, you can contest the charge with your CC provider. Tell them the company lied to you in multiple ways (they said they were Roku, but they weren't, they said there was a charge when there isn't) and that they defrauded you.

Anyone who is trying to call you claiming they are Roku are lying. If you provided them with your Roku user account name and password, immediately go change the password if you can. If you can't log in, they've changed the password and you will need genuine Roku assistance to get your account back. In that case, send a private message on this site to @RokuDanny-R and he can assist you.

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 19

Re: A scam on Roku

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:..  In that case, send a private message on this site to @RokuDanny-R and he can assist you.

To send a him a PM (private message) click on @RokuDanny-R's name where you see it, then click on the purple private message button when his profile appears. You can only do this if you have not turned off private messaging in your own profile.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos