Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanieHolm
Reel Rookie

Is anyone else getting calls to pay for an upgrade?

Jump to solution

I received two calls and an email regarding a "mandatory upgrade". So I called the number back and they told me that I had to pay for this "mandatory upgrade" and that it was $110 (Canadian, including tax).  I said, when I first got Roku, I paid a "one time payment" and now they are asking me for another one? He said that once I paid this "one time payment" that I would get an email and in the email it would say that I wouldn't have to ever make a payment again. I said I don't think this is right and he said if I don't pay this it may cost more to get my service back if I lost the service because I didn't pay for the upgrade. I said if I lose the service, I would not get it back! Now I am trying to figure out if this is a scam or if Roku is really making people pay for an upgrade that is mandatory? Anyone else run into this???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanieHolm
Reel Rookie

Re: Is anyone else getting calls to pay for an upgrade?

Jump to solution

Thanks HDMI Guy!! I thought it must have been a scam, especially when I got another email about it today, and it said that he had a discussion with their support team and decided they could offer me a discount to $75. This is the second discount, mind you, the original price was $110, then he said he could go down to $95, and now $75. Unfortunately I am too polite to tell him to shove his discount. I guess I will have to be satisfied with telling him I know it is a scam, and to never contact me again! Thanks again! Lanie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@LanieHolm Roku does not charge a fee for an upgrade or to activate a Roku device.  If you paid a fee initially to set up your device that was a scam.  Go to settings > about on your Roku device and check your email.  Login to your Roku account using that email on a computer and change your password now if you can login.  If you cannot login to your account I suggest you do a factory reset on your Roku device(s), then create a free Roku account and link your Roku device(s) to the new account.   If you cannot login to your Roku account you likely need to contact your financial institution and block all charges from the existing Roku account. 

0 Kudos
LanieHolm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks HDMI Guy!! I thought it must have been a scam, especially when I got another email about it today, and it said that he had a discussion with their support team and decided they could offer me a discount to $75. This is the second discount, mind you, the original price was $110, then he said he could go down to $95, and now $75. Unfortunately I am too polite to tell him to shove his discount. I guess I will have to be satisfied with telling him I know it is a scam, and to never contact me again! Thanks again! Lanie

0 Kudos