Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge to my bank account for 9.99 title Roku for warnermedia G

There is a charge to my bank account for 9.99 titled Roku for warnermedia G from March. I log into my Roku account and I have no purchases or subscriptions active. I haven’t purchased anything. Where has this charge come from?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Charge to my bank account for 9.99 title Roku for warnermedia G

@Jeaniesroses 

It's probably a scammer.

You see, when payment card information is submitted to a financial institution, the description, such as what you see on your payment card statement, is actually nothing more than a free text field. The scammer can put whatever they want. They expect the user to see a company listed and pursue with that company, rather than report it as fraud and the bank begin a process to attempt to recover the funds.

Since there is nothing listed on your Roku account, then Roku didn't bill you. At least, not that Roku account. If you have other Roku accounts, check them as well.

Since Roku didn't bill you, Roku won't return any money, since they never got any money. It's not an errant billing, but a fraudulent billing from a scammer (thief) who obtained your payment card information from somewhere.

That leads into what is a bigger issue. Your payment card information was compromised somewhere, and it may be floating around the Internet for thieves to find and use. They'll often bill for small amounts, hoping to stay under the radar. And, if they bill $10/account, and have 1,000 compromised accounts, that's $10,000. Every month. So billing small, with amounts that seem legit, keep them under the radar and in business.

What you should do is contact your financial institution and submit a fraud claim. You should probably get a new card number, as the old number is compromised. And you need a plan to keep your payment card information secure.

So, how did it get compromised? You, your computer, or a merchant, or a provider was compromised. At least one of those. It's unlikely a processor was compromised, as that would be stop-the-presses news.

What can you do? Well, for this, do a fraud claim. Going forward? New card number (a PITA), for one. And an analysis of your security habits. For example, do you use a different password for each account? Or do you use a common password. Most people do the latter, and that's bad. If one thing gets compromised, a scammer will start hitting all the banks with those credentials until they get a hit.

If you bank offers one-user or specific merchant cards for online purchases, that's a good approach to take.

None of this is what you wanted to hear. You could have been doing everything right, but some restaurant or department store could have been compromised and your information got out. That's a shame, but it's a reality of life. I wish I had a rosy picture to paint, but this is likely what's going on.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Hector-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jeanieroses, as @DBDukes stated this may be a case of someone having your card information. To dig a bit deeper into this we will be reaching out to you here on the Roku Community through direct message. We will try and see on our end where the charges are coming from. Please keep an eye out in your inbox for a message from us so that we can further assist!

0 Kudos
tdebear929

Did you find an answer? I just got charged w the same description.

0 Kudos
Alfredo-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @tdebear929,

We see you're having an issue with these charges, let us assist you.

We're going to send you a PM to gather more information on these WarnerMedia charges.

Please be on the lookout for a message from us! 

0 Kudos
Jeremiah-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @tdebear929. Please check your private messages and be on the lookout for a message from @Alfredo-Roku so we can continue this conversation privately. Thanks!

Happy Streaming!
Jeremiah-Roku
0 Kudos

I'm also getting these charges!

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Internetaddict Warnermedia is likely Max.  Login to your Roku account on a computer or phone.  Check your subscriptions.  If you can't find any subscriptions you likely have a second Roku account or the charge is not from Roku.

0 Kudos
Jess222

I just got this same exact charge on my account as well and I don't have warner media

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Jess222, do you have HBO/Max?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos