Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ApK
Roku Guru

Did OS 13 stop mute from working with optical audio?

I see my TCL Roku tv just got updated to os 13 (it was apparent from the new ad they managed to shove on to the home screen).  Am I misremembering how it worked before, or did this update break the ability to mute the tv while set to optical audio output?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Did OS 13 stop mute from working with optical audio?

Hi, @ApK

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We acknowledge the informaiton you have shared with us regarding the mute function with the optical audio. We'd like to gather more informaiton for a better understanding of the concern so it can be addressed accordingly. Kindly provide the details below:

• Did this issue occur after updating your Roku TV to OS 13? (You can check your OS version in Settings > System > About).
  • What steps have you taken to address the issue?
  • On what specific content does the issue occur? Does it happen across the Roku platform?

With more details that would help us have a more clarified understanding of the issue, the better we can assist in addressing this one.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ApK
Roku Guru

I will try to ask my question more clearly:

Is the mute button on the standard Roku IR remote supposed to work when the Roku TV is set to optical audio output?

I ask because I SEEM to remember it working before the set was updated to OS 13, but I may be mistaken, since the set is infrequently used, and I use other remotes that control the mute feature on my optical soundbar directly, rather than using Roku's mute feature.

So if the roku mute is SUPPOSED to work on OS13, then mine is not working, and I hope Roku can provide a fix.

If it's NOT supposed to work, then did it work in previous versions and Roku removed the feature in 13?   If so I request they put it back.

If the Roku mute NEVER worked with optical out, then I need to see doctor about my memory problems.

I hope someone can answer those questions.

As for trouble shooting:

1.  Yes, I'm talking about mute across the whole platform.

2. Yes, the set recently updated to OS13

3.  I have restarted several times, both from the menu and by pulling the plug, and checked for software updates.

4.  I have confirmed the mute function does work when the set is set to TV Speaker output, but not when set to optical.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @ApK 

All Roku TV models come equipped with a type of HDMI ARC connection and a digital audio output. For seamless control over your audio setup, we highly recommend utilizing the HDMI ARC connection.

You can easily locate the HDMI ARC port among the other HDMI ports on your TV, typically labeled "HDMI ARC" or simply "ARC". When connecting your surround sound system using ARC, all you need is an HDMI cable.

For detailed instructions and additional support, we recommend checking out our comprehensive support article: How do I connect a surround sound system to my Roku TV™?

We trust you'll find this information valuable in enhancing your Roku TV audio experience. If you have any further questions or need assistance, don't hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
ApK
Roku Guru

Wow.  If my sound bar had HDMI, I'd use it.   It doesn't.    Does anyone else know the answers?   I mean, answers to the questions I actually asked?

0 Kudos

I have never been able to use my Roku remote on my optical audio connected sound bar. I have a TCL brand Roku TV. Odd that an optical audio out port is supplied by the television, but the remote supplied with the television won't control it.

0 Kudos

I have never been able to use the Roku remote on my TCL branded Roku TV to control my sound bar which is connected to that TV by optical audio. Seems strange they supply the optical audio out port, and the remote, but what can you do?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.