Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsafford1

new setup of streaming stick 4k, will not go beyond "unable to updatte software error 003"

display shows five bars. WIFI and internet both get a check mark, but system shows not connected and cannot update software error 003. Display shows network name, signal strength excellent, wireless channel 5, it has an IP address and Mac address

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: new setup of streaming stick 4k, will not go beyond "unable to updatte software error 003&

If you can, try connecting to your phone's hotspot just to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: new setup of streaming stick 4k, will not go beyond "unable to updatte software error 003&

"Channel 5" indicates the Roku is attempting to connect on the 2.4 GHz wifi band. (The 5 GHz band channel numbers start at 36).

One possible cause of the symptoms you describe is that your wifi router may have received an update that reset its 2.4 GHz connection parameters from b/g/n to just g/n. Some routers supplied by Comcast/xFinity, Cox, and AT&T have received such an update, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect.

The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings from the listed internet suppliers:

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos