Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JGDupuis
Reel Rookie

cant airplay or cast using local wifi network without internet

hi, I currently share internet with a neighbour but often times due to distance and other issues i cant get an internet connection with them. I tried setting up my own local network with an older smart r g router i have and connecting my tv and  i phone to the same network.  When i try to use airplay or cast the tv does not show up on my phone so i cant connect. why would this not work as I have an unlimited data plan and thought I should be able to cast apple tv or others from my phone on a local only network that is not connected to the internet. I also see someone else's tv in my available Wi fi list that is listed as          DIRECT-Roku-LUC-CEFFEC but i don't see my tv (SOHL42DRRLUC) listed anywhere Is there a setting for WIFI direct that i can enable?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: cant airplay or cast using local wifi network without internet

Hi, @JGDupuis

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information with us, and we'd be more than glad to assist. Seeing that you're unable to Screen Mirror or use Airplay, a basic troubleshooting step such as updating your Roku streaming device (if it's outdated) and a system restart should be performed. If none of these doesn't work, the issue might rely on the network itself. Most screencast and Airplay are done when the Roku device and mobile device are connected to the same network.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JGDupuis
Reel Rookie

thanks for the reply,  i have done the reset and checked for updates and did suspect it could be a problem with the network itself but my question is as to a local WIFI network would work for airplay or casting if it is only local and not connected to the internet

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @JGDupuis

Have you made sure that while projecting the screen mirroring/casting feature, to connect the mobile device and Roku device to the same network?

This is the common connection that should be established to enable screen mirrong/casting.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos