Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoth_the_Elder
Reel Rookie

Re: Won't connect to wifi extender

All of my main iron ethernets at the other end of the house with the cable modem, the router, UPS, and other fun stuff. The remote entertainment gear originally used a guest WiFi channel--worked OK, mostly. Purpose was to prevent ROKU, and other entertainment things from sniffing around my need-to-know stuff. I'm probably going to revert to the original configuration and get rid of the extender or Plan B = trying Apple TV, or some such.

[Yes, I am paranoid! Serves me well--still standing...]

0 Kudos
KahluaKat
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue and opened a support request for my   Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  #409458. Roku refuses to acknowledge a problem with their device even though I’ve done all their troubleshooting steps and have told them multiple times that I have a variety of windows, iOS, and macOS devices successful connecting. And also that the roku will connect to a guest wifi on the same router. Their stance it’s an issue with my router or isp.

I’ll certainly be sharing far and wide why NOT to buy a Roku given this product firmware/software defect and more importantly their lack of acknowledgment or assistance.  
0 Kudos
Crzymom1

Going thru the same exact thing.  Took me forever just to reset my roku cause of poor internet.  My phone's and the tv itself picks up my netgear but it roku

PaulMedynski
Channel Surfer

Hey folks,

For unrelated reasons, I upgraded my wifi setup to the TP-Link Deco M5 system with 3 APs, and my Roku stick has no problems connecting.

-Paul

0 Kudos
gsva
Reel Rookie

Have the same problem with a TCL Roku TV.  It is fine connecting to the weaker router signal, but doesn't want to connect to the extender signal.  I am using a Netgear AC1900 Mesh extender.  My laptops, phones and printers are having zero problem.  The TV...forget about it.  It just doesn't want to connect.  So, I deal with only "Good" to "Fair" signal on my TV and go with the "Excellent" signal for all my other peripherals.  So frustrating.

bodywise007
Reel Rookie

Roku is a great device.  But this is so typical everywhere.  Huge numbers of users complaining with no solution.   It is obvious this is a Roku problem.

Mine will not connect to a wifi extender.  All other devices can find and connect.  It is not the wifi.  It is Roku and obviously they do not care.    It will connect to slower speed wifi

And no where is it written that it will not connect to 5.4 GHZ.

It's very sad because Roku is indispensible to connecting with YouTube.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@bodywise007 wrote:

And no where is it written that it will not connect to 5.4 GHZ. ...

All Roku devices connect to 2.4 GHz band networks, channels 1-11. Many, but not the lesser models, will connect to 5 GHz network (excluding channels 50-149).

You made an obvious typo with the "5.4" bit, and since this is your only post here, there's no background to understand the basis of your complaint. What issue are you having? What Roku model number?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Hi. I have a Roku TV 7810X model WR65UC4139 and it will not connect to our new Netgear X4 AC2200.  

Same issue as everyone has mentioned. Will connect router but not extender.  Any solutions?

Thanks.

FlyData

I just bought a nighthawk X4 mesh extender specifically to improve the signal to the Roku stick as it is on the opposite side of the house as my main router and was getting a weak signal.  Now it won't connect at all and freezes on the main menu.  When I have gotten the menu to work, I can get it to search and find the network and says the signal strength is "excellent", but it just won't connect. It is a mess right now as it is frozen even when I reset.

PaulMedynski
Channel Surfer

Welcome to the thread!  Roku devices (and possibly TVs) just won't connect to Netgear wifi extenders - period.  They may or may not connect to other brands of extenders.  It's a problem with the Roku, not your extender.

For unrelated reasons, I switched my home WiFi to a mesh TP-Link Deco setup (3 APs) and the Rokus have no problems connecting to them.

It sucks, but there is no solution other than trying a different extender, or buying a wifi mesh setup (extenders _aren't_ mesh).

-Paul