Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless internet connection not found on Roku express

Jump to solution

My Roku express randomly wasn’t connected and could not find a connection, I tried putting the password.. but it did not work. After googling I reset the whole thing but the problem is that now I need WiFi to get back to the apps however it’s still not connecting, and it couldn’t possibly be my WiFi.. every device in this household works but my express. (By the way it’s wireless connection)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wireless internet connection not found on Roku express

Jump to solution

@darlenezapata05-

If your Roku finds and lists your WiFi network, but fails to establish a network connection when you enter your network's WiFi password, this may be caused by an update to your router that has changed a setting.  These updates have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network.

Note that, of recent Roku models, non-4K Roku Express/Express+ (model numbers below 3940) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers below 4620) can ONLY receive the 2.4 GHz band and are therefore affected by this.

The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n. 

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar  for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku may allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or if you have no "Power" option, under "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just pull the Roku's power for a few seconds then let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @darlenezapata05,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We see that you're having some connectivity issues on your Roku device, and we'd like to see more on what's going on here.

Are there some recent changes that might be related to this? We'd also suggest connecting to an alternative network like mobile hotspot and see if that helps.

Please also share the device ID of the affected device; this can be found by navigating to Settings>>System>>About.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@darlenezapata05-

If your Roku finds and lists your WiFi network, but fails to establish a network connection when you enter your network's WiFi password, this may be caused by an update to your router that has changed a setting.  These updates have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network.

Note that, of recent Roku models, non-4K Roku Express/Express+ (model numbers below 3940) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers below 4620) can ONLY receive the 2.4 GHz band and are therefore affected by this.

The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n. 

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar  for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku may allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or if you have no "Power" option, under "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just pull the Roku's power for a few seconds then let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X