Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luke4812
Reel Rookie

Wireless Network troubleshooting Netgear AX1800 router

Jump to solution

I'm having issues connecting to my wifi. My Roku is a Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  # I'm using a Netgear AX1800 router. For my phone, I had to change the wifi settings to use the device's MAC address. It sees the network, but when I enter the password it will not connect. None of the stages have a checkmark when it fails.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wireless Network troubleshooting Netgear AX1800 router

Jump to solution

@luke4812 

The Roku Express 3930 is only 2.4ghz capable. (It cannot see or use the the 5ghz band).

Try changing your "Wireless Security" from WPA3 to WPA2-Personal in the AX1800.  Then restart both the Roku device and the router.  If it connects successfully, you can then try using WPA2/WPA3 in the settings and see if still able to connect.

Roku devices cannot currently connect if a router (like wifi6 AX) is set to WPA3-only.

------

As for the g/n and b/g/n setting under "Wireless Mode" on the 2.4ghz band, this is not a universal issue and pertains mainly to leased cable ISP routers or routers purchased with cable ISP firmware.  Roku devices should be able to connect to routers configured with g/n, but a good troubleshooting step would be to use the default b/g/n setting as mentioned by @mop_891 if having issues connecting or remaining connected to a network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@luke4812For starters have you checked the wireless band? According to what I'm seeing it only does 2.4 GHZ b/g/n. If your router is not broadcasting 2.4 GHZ B/g/n it will never connect.

spec for all ROKUS here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

3930/1 says b/g/n only

0 Kudos
luke4812
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
luke4812
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@mop_891 Hi, that is incorrect. My wifi has 2.4 and 5GHZ options, however my Roku is not picking up the 5GHZ one. It is only seeing the 2.4 one

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@luke4812  forgive me if I was not clear but that is what I said it will not see the 5GHZ and also even if your 2.4 GHZ is on and if is set to g/n instead of b/g/n. It will never connect

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@luke4812 

The Roku Express 3930 is only 2.4ghz capable. (It cannot see or use the the 5ghz band).

Try changing your "Wireless Security" from WPA3 to WPA2-Personal in the AX1800.  Then restart both the Roku device and the router.  If it connects successfully, you can then try using WPA2/WPA3 in the settings and see if still able to connect.

Roku devices cannot currently connect if a router (like wifi6 AX) is set to WPA3-only.

------

As for the g/n and b/g/n setting under "Wireless Mode" on the 2.4ghz band, this is not a universal issue and pertains mainly to leased cable ISP routers or routers purchased with cable ISP firmware.  Roku devices should be able to connect to routers configured with g/n, but a good troubleshooting step would be to use the default b/g/n setting as mentioned by @mop_891 if having issues connecting or remaining connected to a network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

thanks @AvsGunnar  said it better than i could ;-).