Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kortik
Channel Surfer

Wifi suddenly stopped working on Roku Express devices

I have 5 of Roku Express and Express+ devices. One of them stopped working (WiFi part of the device completely failed in just 3 months) and was replaced by Roku without any questions asked, another one is dying right now after a bit more than 2 years of infrequent usage - "poor signal" and stuff, and this particular unit is placed just 4 inches away (!) from the WiFi router! Another 3 Rokus are still working, but signal strength is not good at all. Conclusion - bad design of Roku radio or bad QC in manufacturing. It is obvious and not good... 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Wifi suddenly stopped working on Roku Express devices

Hi @Kortik

Thank you for the post!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Roku devices. There could be several reasons why your Roku devices are having trouble with the Wi-Fi signal, including interference from other devices, outdated software or firmware, or a weak Wi-Fi signal from your router. Here are a few steps you can take to try and improve your Roku's Wi-Fi connection:

• Move your Roku closer to your Wi-Fi router. Even a few inches can make a difference in signal strength.
  • Check to see if any other devices near your Roku could be causing interference. Other Wi-Fi devices, Bluetooth devices, and even microwaves can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  • Check to see if there are any firmware or software updates available for your Roku device. Updating your Roku's software or firmware can sometimes improve its Wi-Fi performance.
  • If your Wi-Fi signal is weak, consider getting a Wi-Fi range extender or a Wi-Fi mesh system to improve your signal strength.
  • You can also try resetting your Roku device to its factory settings. This can sometimes help improve Wi-Fi performance.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Kortik
Channel Surfer

Re: Sudden poor Wifi signal?

Lianna,

Thanks for your dynamic reply. Everything you suggested was already done. Express+ with "poor signal" syndrome is, as I've mentioned in my post, is situated just 4 inches away from WiFi router, which is able to connect to other devices thru at least 4 walls at the distance of at least 15-35 feet. This Roku device already updated itself numerous times in automatic mode. Conclusion - Roku has a bad WiFi design(1) or bad QC in manufacturing(2), or both, which, as you can imagine, is not a good news.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Kortik

Thank you for the reply!

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried re-connecting your Roku to a solid wireless network to see if that helps resolve the issue you are seeing? You may also try to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as another mobile phone signal typically provided and maintained by specific mobile phone (cellular) service providers, to see if you are experiencing the same issue.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Kortik actually, being 4" away might be too close. The signal might be saturating the radio, which can be just as bad as a weak signal. I would recommend at least a foot away, and then see if there's any improvement. 

That said, the basic Express models do seem to be the most problematic with their WiFi radios. My Premiere is also a single band device, but it seems to work just fine connecting to either of my access points, one being in the garage directly below its location and the other at the other end of the house and also one floor down. My Ultra 4800 is about two  feet away from the access point, but of course it's using 5 GHz and has a great WiFi connection.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Kortik
Channel Surfer

Dan, when I've noticed that signal was reported as poor, I've done what Lianna suggested, and moved WiFi router closer to Roku. It did not help. 4" is the shortest distance I've tried. I just moved the router away, and situated it 16"-18" away form the Roku. It did not help. I think that it is a high time to face the reality. Too many people have an issue with Roku WiFi, and it would be wise for Roku to act accordingly.

0 Kudos
Kortik
Channel Surfer

Lianna, thanks for your attention. It was all done and tried in the past. I suggest that Roku stop trying to save the face and address this bad WiFi issue as a serious company would do. I do like the whole "Roku idea", but at least some of the Roku hardware is certainly no good, Roku Express series being a prime example. I'm getting an Ultra now, so that I could use LAN port and forget about WiFi. I hope it will make things better and a lot more stable. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

The WiFi issue really seems to be specific to the basic Express. I have no issues using WiFi on my Ultra, Express 4K+, and older Premiere 3920. But I do use wired whenever possible. I just ran out of Ethernet ports on my switch, which is why the 4800 is WiFi. But by using WiFi, I can successfully watch my ripped 4K movies, which requires a faster connection than the Roku offered wired. I just ran a speed test with the Ultra this afternoon, and it reported back about 230 Mbps, which is more than double the speed available when wired. 

So, I wouldn't write off using a Roku on WiFi, just that specific model player you have. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Kortik
Channel Surfer

Dan, I do have hopes that LAN connection will work. It's just so simple that it is hard to imagine it will not work. I do not need to have more than 20-30 Mbps to get a good picture on my TV, which is not something extremely special in regard to tech requirements. I'm just a little upset that Roku either hides or not willing to act when they perfectly know that there is a DEFINITE issue with WiFi on certain models like Express or something else similar to this product line. Some gut feeling tells me it was a bad design of the radio they've used... At least Roku should admit it, recall some of previously sold hardware, replace it with better designed units, then this issue is resolved, no more empty talk and childish suggestions from Roku. Just my sincere opinion. BTW, I got here only because my second Roku Express is rapidly dying, like the first one did nearly 2 years ago, and I've found this good discusion... Thank you.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Oh yeah, you won't have any issues with a wired connection. I've never heard of an Ultra having an Ethernet problem. And like I said, it has great WiFi as well. Plus, you can buy a USB Ethernet adapter and use wired on the Express 4K+ as well, since it doesn't come with a wired connection. That won't work on the Express you have now. 

Dan

0 Kudos