Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MissT80

Wifi doesn’t automatically connect when Roku is turned on

Can the wifi stay automatically connected? Kinda annoying to have to keep connecting every time I turn it on. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Hannah2213

Re: Wifi doesn’t automatically connect when Roku is turned on

To restart your Roku player, go to Settings > System > System restart. To restart your Roku TV, go to Settings > System > Power > System restart. You can also unplug the Roku device from the power source, wait a few moments, and then reconnect it.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MissT80,

Welcome, and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about the issue that you ran into with your Roku device that consistently loses Wi-Fi connections. Please provide us with more details.

• How are you trying to connect to your network? Is it via a wired or wireless connection?
  • How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  • Are you getting any error messages or error codes while trying to play content?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@MissT80-

If you have a Roku device that has a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, a relatively new "Auto power savings" setting in the Power menu will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a 20 minute period of inactivity (i.e nothing has been streaming and no user interaction has been received). In this low power state neither its connection to your home network nor its HDMI connection to your TV are active. If your TV was off,  when you turn it back on while the Roku is in this state, this often leads to a "no connection" error display on the TV, and on some TVs can lead to HDCP copy protection errors and other connection problems when the HDMI connection is reestablished.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons, if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place. The power savings are very small and for the hassle it causes many users, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem.  I have 2 Roku devices and a Roku TV and they are all doing the same thing.  When we turn them on, they say not connected (I am using wifi and the signal is excellent).  Most of the time you just pick the same network and don't touch the password and it will reconnect.  But sometimes, it won't connect, but if you switch to the guest network it will connect, but this limits what we can do.  It's been doing this for only the last few weeks, so I'm assuming it was some Roku update that messed things up.  I have not changed any of the router or access point settings.  And yes, I've restarted the router and Roku's and that never helps.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @roughing_it,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem connecting your Roku devices to the network. How far are your Roku devices from the network router? How many devices are connected to your network? (including computers, phones, and more)

In the meantime, kindly try to restart your system by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step). This will help clear out temporary memory, reset any processes that may be causing issues, and improve performance by closing unnecessary programs and freeing up system resources.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos