Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgraded to Wifi 6 router and Roku will NOT connect to the internet. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas 

Most of these will settings will be under Professional (Asus term for "Advanced Settings")

To disable 5ghz band, Professional...Wireless...Frequency (select 5ghz)...Enable Radio (select NO)... then click Apply or Save.

My other posting to you may have overlapped with you responding, as I was editing my response.  Look at the part regarding 'Airtime Fairness'.  You will do this under the same Professional settings but will select the 2.4ghz band, leave the radio ON/Enabled, but disable the Airtime Fairness.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Re: Upgraded to Wifi 6 router and Roku will NOT connect to the internet. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas wrote:

Airtime fairness has been disabled ever seen I plugged in the router. I believe it came standard this way. At least for me. 

Just verify that it is disabled under the 2.4 ghz frequency, as it should be Enabled by default, at least according Asus.  It may be disabled under the 5 ghz, I didn't look.

Just make sure to restart router after every change you make to its settings. (after of course pressing Apply/Save).

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Currently under 2.4ghz airtime fairness is disabled. 

I have now turned off the 5ghz radio. I'm on the 2.4Ghz band on the computer in which I'm messaging you.

What would you like me to do now? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas 

Should have asked before when you split your Network.  Are you using 2 distinct SSID names. (Ching and Ching_5g) for the network?  Did you check the Wireless Security re: WPA/WPA2, AES. (this should have also been default setting)

Also, what was the result of the hotspot attempt by your wife?

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Yes, I have 2 separate SSID names. I have the default setting of "wpa2-personal" and "AES" 

My wife was able to set up with her mobile hotspot. It didn't change anything for the Asus network to start working with Roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas wrote:

Interestingly I tried selecting "hide SSID" on the Asus wireless settings and could still see the 2.4GHz band showing up in available connections which makes no sense whatsoever. 

That makes me think one of two things. Either the router is defective, or the SSID you're seeing isn't your own, but a nearby router that has the same SSID. And if it is a different router, that would explain no connection. It could also mean that someone nearby is trying to get you to connect to their network for some unknown, but likely nefarious reason. I think I'd change my SSID before going any further and see if that hidden connection is still visible. If it is, there's something wrong with the router. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

It's very strange. I changed my SSID name and the SSID name showing up on the Roku changed as well. 

I spoke on the phone with my ISP. The ISP checked everything on their end for something faulty. ISP said everything was running properly. 

I also spoke with Asus and they had me give them my system log data, CFG files, and model numbers of all my hardware, and firmware versions. The tech said, "it may be either firmware or hardware-related". The Asus team is going to collect all my hardware devices and try to reproduce the problem in their lab to find the solution.

Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will update you with the solution when the issue is solved.

Thanks for all of your help, I really do appreciate the time you all have taken to help me. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas wrote:

It's very strange. I changed my SSID name and the SSID name showing up on the Roku changed as well. 

That is good that it changed. (as long as it changed to the same one you have named in router).  That means the Roku is seeing the router SSID.  It is just having a problem passing the internet connection test.

Would definitely appreciate the update if you find resolution.  Will post some other things to try/verify in the meantime if come across them.

May even be useful now to purchase one of the newer Roku Express 4k/4k+ devices.  Since these are dual band, may have luck connecting to either the 2.4 ghz or 5ghz bands now.  At least worth a shot while investigating the Premiere issue.  Probably won't even care about the resolution if you can get the new device to connect.  Good luck and keep up posted. (Oh yeah, go ahead and re-enable your 5ghz band again in case you haven't already.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying the SSID name change. Certainly sounds like a defective router, although it's tough to tell if it's firmware or hardware related. But if SSID is set to hidden and it's still visible, then something's wrong, and it's nothing to do with the Roku. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos