Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkatoma
Channel Surfer

Unable to Cast to Roku TV

I am unable to cast from my Android phone (Android 13) to my Roku TV (TCL 65S555). I am able to cast from my Android phone to another tv (Hisense Android TV) but not the Roku TV.

My Roku TV does show up as an option to cast when using the Youtube app. However, I'm unable to cast to my Roku TV through any other apps, nor am I through the general Screencast.

Any assistance to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Unable to Cast to Roku TV

Hi @mkatoma

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

We're glad you are here so we can best assist you. To use casting, the supported app must be installed on your mobile device and Roku TV. You must also connect your phone or tablet to the same wireless network as your Roku device. You can do this wirelessly with supported apps like YouTube and Netflix by opening the casting icon on the mobile device on your phone or tablet and selecting your Roku device.

Please be guided through this link if you encounter errors accessing it: Cast from a mobile app to your TV.

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@mkatoma 

I have never been able to use Android's native cast (Cast Connect) to cast through my Roku devices.  Some of my previous Android phones were able to use Google Cast to cast some content (ie. Youtube, Netflix, etc-- that symbol that allowed user to cast to TV from within the opened app.) 

I just use third party casting apps now when needing to cast content from my Android mobile devices to the Roku device.  My personal preference is Web Video Caster (WVC), but others like Castify and Tubio work fine also.  

With all the above, you install the app on your mobile device or phone (all can be found in the Play Store), and then you install a companion receiver on your Roku device. (all found in the Roku Channel Store).

The apps mentioned above are free (with ads on phone), and all offer paid features also.  WVC is a one-time purchase of $3 or $4 for an ad-free full featured lifetime use, but the free version works perfectly fine. (a few additional features with the paid version).

From the Roku Channel Store (companion receivers)...

Web Video Caster 

Castify

Tubio

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

mkatoma
Channel Surfer

I am able to cast from the YouTube app on my mobile device but not Netflix.

Is there a way to cast from my mobile device to my Roku tv using Androids screen cast feature or if I'm in a mobile app for which an equivalent app is unavailable on Roku tv? I've been able to do these functions on my Android TV.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @mkatoma

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

You can of course cast to your Roku TV what you are already watching on your mobile device. To use casting, the supported app must be installed on both your mobile device and your Roku streaming device. You must also make sure to connect your phone or tablet to the same wireless network as your Roku device.

You can do this wirelessly with supported apps like YouTube and Netflix by opening the casting icon on a mobile device on your phone or tablet and selecting your Roku device. The channel will launch automatically on your Roku device and playback will begin.

Please read the detailed article about: How to cast apps like YouTube or Netflix from your phone to a TV

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
mkatoma
Channel Surfer

As previously noted, I am still unable to cast via Netflix, despite having downloaded the Netflix app on both my phone and my Roku TV as well as connecting to the same wifi network.

Also, can you address my questions regarding the general screencast feature?

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @mkatoma

Thank you for the inquiry!

If you are unable to cast Netflix from your phone to your Roku TV even though you have downloaded the Netflix app on both devices and they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, there are a few things you can try:

• Restart both devices. Sometimes simply restarting both your phone and Roku TV can help resolve any connection issues.
  • Make sure both devices are up to date. Check for any available updates on both your phone and Roku TV and install them if necessary.
  • Check your Wi-Fi connection. Make sure your phone and Roku TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and that the network is functioning properly. Try resetting your Wi-Fi router if necessary.
  • Check your Netflix account settings. Make sure your account settings are configured to allow casting. Go to your Netflix account settings and make sure that "Smartphone or tablet" is selected as a playback device.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
mkatoma
Channel Surfer

How can I use the screencast feature from my Android phone to cast to the Roku TV? I am unable to do this currently.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @mkatoma

Thank you for the inquiry!

To use the screencast feature from your Android phone to cast to your Roku TV, follow these steps:

• Make sure your Roku TV and Android phone are on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • Enable screen mirroring on your Roku TV by going to Settings > System > Screen mirroring > Screen mirroring mode and selecting either Prompt or Always allow.
  • On your Android phone, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Quick Settings panel.
  • Tap the Screen Cast icon to begin searching for available devices.
  • Select your Roku TV from the list of available devices.
  • Wait for the connection to be established, and your Android phone screen will be mirrored on your Roku TV.

Note: The Screen Cast icon may be located in different locations depending on your Android phone model and version of Android. If you can't find it in the Quick Settings panel, try searching for it in the Settings app. Additionally, not all Android phones support screen casting, so make sure your device is compatible before attempting to cast.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
mkatoma
Channel Surfer

I followed the above instructions. However, my Roku TV is not listed as an available device to cast to. Please advise.