Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Rokus - both can’t connect to internet

I have two Rokus attached to two TVs. My internet is working fine and speed is adequate at 25 down and 3 up. Both Rokus can find the wireless router (set up screen shows a green check mark). But neither Roku can then connect to the internet (red X). Resetting the Roku didn’t fix it.

To make this more baffling, I also have a Chrome device on each TV. Both connect to the same wifi, but then also can’t connect to the internet. I have a DirecTV receiver connected to the same wifi and same internet provider and it’s on-demand feature works just fine.

Two Rokus on different TVs both with the same fail. Any ideas? 

Oh, and more maddening, I can switch to a different wifi on a different internet provider. Both Rokus fail on that too.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Two Rokus - both can’t connect to internet

I recall years ago that when Comcast provided the modem/router for Internet access, only one device at a time could connect. One had to install a separate router that permitted multiple devices to connect. Without knowing what you have for Internet access, I'm only guessing about the cause. But it sounds like the router you are using is not assigning IP addresses to all connected devices. A clue is the Chromecasts that have the same issue. It sounds like your DirecTV box has taken the only available IP address. 

If you can provide some more detail it would help. See if you can determine the IP address assigned to the DTV player, and see if your Roku and Chromecast devices are showing an address in the same range. By same range I mean the first three segments of the number must be the same (192.168.0.x, with the x being different on each device). They don't have to be 192.168.0, but whatever the full number is the first three segments must be identical. If any of the devices are showing an IP address that starts with 169, that's a dead giveaway that the router is not assigning IP addresses correctly. I won't bore you with the details about what that means. 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Two Rokus - both can’t connect to internet

There are some router setting issues that can prevent establishing Roku wifi connections. And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/xfinity, Cox, and ATT so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. Affected Roku models, notably Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620), are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X