Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Roku devices within close proximity

Before I purchase an additional device…

I have two tv setups, one in my bedroom and another in the living room, which are on opposite sides of the same wall, direct behind each other. Can I connect two separate Roku devices, WiFi sticks, and be able to operate them independently. Or will one remote try and operate both at once, which I clearly do not want?  I also have the same brand tv in both rooms.

Thanks in advance for any help getting this setup to work!

Larry

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Two Roku devices within close proximity

All current Roku devices, except the Express non-4K version, are supplied with "Voice Remotes" that control the Roku by radio frequencies (RF) that can go through walls.  But each since RF remote will only operate the specific Roku it is paired with, there should be no interference.

The TV control buttons on the Voice Remotes (power, volume, mute) control the TV via direct line of sight infrared (IR) signals as that's what most TVs accept.  IR cannot penetrate walls so each remote should only control the TV that's in the same room with it, except for the unlikely chance that the IR signal can bounce from one room to the other through a hallway and still reach the other set.  And even then this should not be a problem unless both sets use the same set of IR commands.  If you already have these sets in place, and if their individual remotes don't interfere with each other now, this should not be a problem.

The non-4K version of the Express, mentioned above, is supplied with a simple IR remote that controls the Roku only and has no TV-control (power, volume, mute) keys.  All Roku units other than actual Roku Streaming Sticks, can be controlled by the same set of IR commands, but except for the ricochet down the hall possibility mentioned above, they will only control Rokus in direct line of sight in the same room as the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Pat13
Reel Rookie

Hi - Is there a way to stop an old Roku Express remote from controlling a new Roku Ultra. I have 2 Rokus both within line of sight on 2 different TVs and the old Roku Express remote is controlling both ( the Ultra remote does not affect the old Roku Expess ). Thanks 

0 Kudos
Pat13
Reel Rookie

I did find out that tinfoil covering the front of the ultra works, not exactly the elegant solution I was looking for.  If anyone has better ideas let me know. Otherwise, I’ll probably buy some tape that supposedly will block the IR signal to the Ultra.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

That sounds like a good answer.  The most basic Express versions come with IR remotes, and every Roku (except sticks) have IR receivers allowing them to be driven by any IR remote with the right code set - a "feature" if you want to use a universal remote on your Roku.  And IR remote's don't "pair" - they just control whatever can see them.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There's no need for the Ultra to be out in the open, so while the tin foil works, so may just hiding it out of sight.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.