Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thudson921

Tv getting poor internet connection with wired connection and internet speed on 30 Mbps

Jump to solution

My internet speed is currently 30 Mbps I’ve checked on multiple internet speed test, but my tv says it’s only getting 5 Mbps and then drops to 1 Mbps. I have a wired connection and still have this problem I have cleared cache and restarted router and still have this problem. 

please help i use YouTube tv and current cannot watch due to the terrible buffer problem!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tv getting poor internet connection with wired connection and internet speed on 30 Mbps

Jump to solution

@AlexK14, the Ethernet connection on the TV only supports 100Mbps maximum.  If your TV was connecting to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel and not a 5GHz channel then it might explain the 60Mbps.  Try connecting to Wi-Fi again and check the channel it's using under Settings->Network->About.  If it's 11 or less, it's using a 2.4GHz channel.

I don't think your connection speed is what's causing your issue.  60Mbps is more than adequate for any 4k content.  Some apps may just be slower than others.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexK14

Re: Tv getting poor internet connection with wired connection and internet speed on 30 Mbps

Jump to solution

I have a similar question. I have a TCL Roku TV 55" that sits 18" from my Motorola router. With a wireless connection I typically would see a download speed of around 60 Mbps. Recently, xFinity doubled its purported speed, and my iPhone 15, iPad Pro, and Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Air all see the increased speed, but the TV does not. Yesterday, after resetting the modem and the TV and finding no improvement, I tried our a wired connection since it's so close to the router. To my amazement, nothing changed. I used the same ethernet cable and modem port that gives my laptop 500 Mbps, but it only gives the TV 80 Mbps -- just unplugged it from the laptop and right Into the TV. Why would that be? I'm not unhappy with the TV viewing quality - that's not why I did this experiment. I did it because there is a painful delay when choosing a new streaming source and waiting for the content to load, and I want to speed up the loading process.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@AlexK14, the Ethernet connection on the TV only supports 100Mbps maximum.  If your TV was connecting to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel and not a 5GHz channel then it might explain the 60Mbps.  Try connecting to Wi-Fi again and check the channel it's using under Settings->Network->About.  If it's 11 or less, it's using a 2.4GHz channel.

I don't think your connection speed is what's causing your issue.  60Mbps is more than adequate for any 4k content.  Some apps may just be slower than others.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.