Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pjay75

Travel with streaming stick

Jump to solution

When traveling with streaming stick, it tries to update software before connecting to Wi-Fi. When plugging stick in at new location, the first operation should be to connect to Wi-Fi, then check for updates. Currently, the stick is unusable while traveling as it gets stuck in a loop trying to update before Wi-Fi connection is made. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Travel with streaming stick

Jump to solution

I've seen something similar when one of my devices wanted to complete (I forget the exact wording) an update right after I plugged it in.  It failed because the last network it was connected to wasn't available, but it still let me proceed after it failed.  I hope you brought your remote with you, because the update problem will be the least of your problems if you don't have a physical remote.  I assume you've tried pressing the reset button or disconnecting the power for a few seconds to see if it does the same thing the next time it restarts.

If you can't get past the update, you may be able to configure the hotspot on your phone to match the last network it was connected to (same SSID/network name and password).  It should connect and complete the update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Travel with streaming stick

Jump to solution

I've seen something similar when one of my devices wanted to complete (I forget the exact wording) an update right after I plugged it in.  It failed because the last network it was connected to wasn't available, but it still let me proceed after it failed.  I hope you brought your remote with you, because the update problem will be the least of your problems if you don't have a physical remote.  I assume you've tried pressing the reset button or disconnecting the power for a few seconds to see if it does the same thing the next time it restarts.

If you can't get past the update, you may be able to configure the hotspot on your phone to match the last network it was connected to (same SSID/network name and password).  It should connect and complete the update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.