Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TripleDD
Channel Surfer

Travel w/Roku Ultra, Hotel internet security

Will be traveling with Roku Ultra to hotels and AIRBNB facilities.  How do secure my Roku so the streaming services account information is not compromised while using the Roku on this basically "open" internet connection?   Do I need a firewalla type device attached?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tavel w/Roku Ultra, Hotel internet security

The Roku is already invisible on public networks, as remote connect only works on private networks. But more importantly you will find that hotel WiFi always has a security function enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing any other connected devices. Your Roku, laptop, or any other device you connect to the hotel WiFi will be invisible to any other connected device. 

Now, I say this with confidence about any major hotel chain property. With independent locations, or AirBNB locations, I can't say for certain those specific protections are in place. If you want total piece of mind, then use your own Internet connection, such as a phone hotspot or personal MiFi device. Since it's rare for any lodging to provide a wired Internet connection, it's very difficult to use your own router as a firewall. I've had a travel router in the past that could bridge the hotel WiFi and firewall it off for my devices,  but it failed as often as it worked, so I gave up on it.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TripleDD
Channel Surfer

Dan,

Many thanks.  Being a novice, my reference to a firewalla device was overly simplistic.  I am not sure I understand your reference to "invisible" on a public network - meaning - it can not be seen and so the account login information for the Roku device and its associated streaming account data can not be seen/taken, etc.?  

And so a remote connection is like on a home LAN or AIRBNB LAN and would be considered private? 

It was also unknown to me that hotels had such security on their wifi.  Good to know.  When on my laptop, I have always used a VPN...maybe overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Understand about other locations, like an AIRBNB.  I would need to discuss with that property.

Question though, am I correct that I can plug a wired cable from the AIRBNB router (presuming I was allowed by the property host) into my Roku and it should function normally?  I still have the same security questions - would the account data be safe - I also presume I would need to sign in the Roku to the router.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Let's step through those one at a time.

On a non-private network, the "device connect" feature of the Roku (which allows connecting the Roku app or otherwise accessing the Roku over the network) does not work. By private network, I am referring to any network that uses what is internationally accepted as a private IP address range. There are several ranges that are considered private, and will not work across the Internet itself using those addresses. 

These are private IP addresses:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

If your IP address is within one of these ranges, it's a private IP network that cannot be routed over the Internet. Of course, a "public" network connection might still use an address range within these, as long as it has a router between the network and the Internet. A Roku device on any of these networks would be accessible from a phone or tablet that is has the Roku app. The Device Connect feature can be disabled in the Roku menu, so even on such a private network the app won't connect.

However, as I mentioned most public networks that use a private IP address range will have the security feature I mentioned before. Connected devices cannot "see" other connected devices, so it's near impossible to attempt to hack into another device. 

I would expect any AirBNB to have that security measure applied, as they want to protect their own devices from potential attack. More than likely they are using a "guest" function on a router, and those always have that security feature enabled. I would think it is highly unlikely any AirBNB would offer a wired Internet connection, but even if they did they should be smart enough to put it on a private VLAN to protect their private network.

Even if someone could connect to your Roku across a private network, I am not aware of any ability to view anything personal within the app. The Roku app really is only used as a remote control of the Roku. It doesn't display anything within the app, only controls what is visible on the display the Roku is connected to. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TripleDD
Channel Surfer

Many thanks!  (Got distracted!)

So good to go and travel with the home Roku unit and attaching to the hotel and other (Like Airbnb specifically) systems.  Highly unlikely (if not possible) to see the credentials and other sensitive information being sent.  

Thanks !

0 Kudos