Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

There have been a lot of threads on this, but I don't see anyone mentioning in this thread that if you use the OpenWrt firmware on your router, you can work around this Roku firmware bug by unchecking the "Allow legacy 802.11b rates” setting.

Unfortunately, many people don't have that option because they don't use custom router firmware. The only other option for people is to wait for Roku to release a fix in the firmware, set up a mobile hotspot on their phones, and connect the Roku to the hotspot to download the fix. But who knows when they'll release a fix, and the Roku support employees on this forum don't seem to even be acknowledging the problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Even if one is not using a version of WRT firmware, many routers do have the option for the 2.4 GHz radio for the protocols supported. I believe all of mine have B/G/N, G/N and N Only as the options. I've turned off B support long ago, just using G/N, which might explain why I've never encountered this issue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Kikos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There is no troubleshooting that will fix this! I want to speak to someone at roku and I want a roku that works! 

0 Kudos
Kikos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do troubleshooting everyday for a streaming service and many viewers use roku. Roku decided to close shop when the pandemic hit. Nice customer service! I'll go buy a fire stick! 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

your supposed credentials mean nothing.

What is the problem?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Kikos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Are you asking me?

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is a support community.

What are you having problems with specifically?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
rickeames
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'll throw in on this thread. I was using a Netgear router (nighthawk) and replaced it with an AmpliFi Alien. Once I did that, my two Roku Premiere units stopped functioning. They won't connect to the new router...well, they *do* connect, get assigned an IP and then they disconnect themselves and say "couldn't connect to internet error 009." My ultra and my TV's do just fine, it's the 2.4 MHz units that are failing me right now.  Short of replacing the Amplifi, which seems extreme, how am I supposed to get the things to work?

0 Kudos
Rocco13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After no connecting issues for months, now no network connection even though all other devices are connected. Our Roku Express serial number is X00400E2VSU2. [personal information removed] I enter our network password as on our other device, but the Roku won't accept it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Rocco13
Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos