Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scd8
Reel Rookie

Re: Sudden poor Wifi signal?

Danny,

Thanks for the reply.

Here’s the deal:

I have 4 Roku devices in the house.  ALL had “Excellent/Good” signal strength(I’ts not a big home). About a week ago one of them went to “Poor”. I have tried ALL the resets of the device, Router, etc.  Unplugged , re-plugged, etc. I even took the “Poor” strength device to another room and swapped it with an “Excellent” signal strength device. The problem follows the DEVICE that is “Poor” regardless of location. Meaning the problem does not appear to be the router, room, distance from router, or even environment that may have rf interference.  The specific Device is the issue.

Any suggestions? Or are these built with a shelf life of under a year?

Much thanks for your help.

Cheer,s

scd

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@scd8

Thanks for the update.

What Roku model device are you experiencing this issue, as well as the other devices that are working fine? Despite the signal strength, are you experiencing streaming issues on the Roku device?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
fly
Reel Rookie

I've got the same issue with a Roku Premiere 4K device. It worked fine but now the wifi is very weak and it struggles. Many streaming services don't work at all. My other Roku devices work fine when plugged in in the same location. It's still under guarantee, so I want to find out if it's a software update issue that I can fix or if it's hardware and needs to be returned.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@fly

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
randatlas
Streaming Star

Curious to know if that person was able to receive help regarding this connectivity problem? We are experiencing it too. Roku Streaming Stick gets VERY hot and I suspect this is the source of the problem...

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@randatlas, did you try the short extension cable?  https://my.roku.com/hdmi or just buy one for a few bucks and save yourself some time and frustration.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
randatlas
Streaming Star

Thank you for your reply. I do have some of those HDMI extension cables, and the streaming stick has never worked when I use a cable with it. Go figure!....but good idea. 🙂

Fortunately I was able to get things up and running again. Basically I started all over. Powered everything down, unplugged it all, etc. After I manually entered my router info - voila, the Roku's channels worked again.

Our daughter is a happy camper again, lol 🙂

Thanks again. I am considering getting a box-type Roku (no stick) for the future because even though things are working now, that hot streaming stick still concerns me.

0 Kudos
TK8
Reel Rookie

These things are garbage. Had this happen with TWO express boxes now. Less than 2 yrs old, work great one day the next can’t connect unless 3-ft from the router.  I’ve done factory resets, reset the router no luck. This seems purposeful to get you to buy a new box.  I’m done with Roku. 

randatlas
Streaming Star

@TK8 wrote:

These things are garbage. Had this happen with TWO express boxes now. Less than 2 yrs old, work great one day the next can’t connect unless 3-ft from the router.  I’ve done factory resets, reset the router no luck. This seems purposeful to get you to buy a new box.  I’m done with Roku. 

Thanks for your reply. In my case, the problem seemed to be with the "streaming stick" because things stopped working again (lost the signal) after my last post. So, I figured that a box type of Roku, rather than a streaming stick, might be the answer. I ordered a Roku Ultra (box) and it worked right away - and is still working, knock on wood!!!

If something should go wrong again, maybe I'll be through with Roku too. Do you use a different streaming media device now? Chromecast?  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @TK8

We're here to help!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. 

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos