Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troybarwick
Channel Surfer

Streambar Pro won’t connect 5ghz

My Ultra and my sticks all connect to my Eero network on 5ghz.  The Streambar Pro won’t, it stays on 2.4ghz which has a lot of interference.  Are there plans to fix this?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streambar Pro won’t connect 5ghz

Hi @Troybarwick,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Please be aware that there are a few different reasons why a Roku device may have trouble connecting to a 5 GHz wireless network. Firstly, it is possible that the router has switched to an incompatible 5GHz channel, which Roku devices cannot detect or use. Alternatively, the WiFi module on the Roku device may have failed, although this can be ruled out if the device is still able to see the 2.4GHz band and displays a valid MAC address in the Settings/Network/About menu. Finally, it could be a simple issue with the Roku device recognizing the 5GHz radio, in which case performing a System Restart or Network Connection Reset may resolve the issue. By trying these different solutions, it is possible to troubleshoot and resolve connectivity issues with a Roku device on a 5GHz network.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Troybarwick
Channel Surfer

I have 3 other Roku devices that connect at 5ghz. I have rebooted the Streambar Pro and the network.  Eero uses DFS channels, which were fixed on other Roku devices.  Has DFS been addressed on the Streambar Pro?

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Troybarwick,

Thanks for the response!

Please be aware that if your router and Roku device both support 5GHz, make sure it is enabled in the router settings and try connecting to the 5GHz wireless network (e.g., MyNetwork_5GHz). Changing the wireless channel on the router is not necessary when connecting to a 5GHz network.

• Note: If you are having trouble with how to connect your Roku device to Wi-Fi, keep in mind that not all Roku devices support 5GHz networks. To see if your device supports 5GHz, consult the product comparison chart and check the Specifications section. If dual-band is listed, your device is compatible with 5GHz networks.

In addition, Roku streaming devices support 5GHz radio bands U-NII-1 (non-DFS channels 36 to 48) and U-NII-3 (non-DFS channels 149-165), but some devices do not support bands U-NII-2A (DFS channels 50-64) and U-NII-2C (DFS channels 100-144). Roku devices that support DFS channels must be running Roku OS 12.0 or higher to use DFS channels.

For more detailed information, visit our Support page here.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Troybarwick
Channel Surfer

Specifically , does the Streambar Pro support DFS channels?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Troybarwick-

In Roku OS version 12.0 DFS channel support was added for those models equipped with Realtek 13xx processor chips.  Per the Wikipedia Chart at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison, those models are:
 •   Streaming Stick 4K/4k+ (3820/3821)
 •   Express 4K/4k+ (3940/3941)
 •   Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801)

The Streambar and Streambar Pro are listed as having a MStar C2 processor, not a Realtek 1300 series processor.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Troybarwick
Channel Surfer

Thank you, great answer!!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Troybarwick 

The Roku Streambar Pro (9101) should be able to connect to the 5ghz using DFS.  I am able to use my Streambar (9102) on DFS 2e channels (100-140).

I don't need or use DFS on my network, so only enabled for testing purposes recently with Roku and some other devices.

I think your issue may be more the Eero mesh determining that the 2.4ghz band is a better band connection for your device. (Of course, 5ghz-capable unsupported devices will also be forced to 2.4ghz as well).

You can temporarily disable the 5ghz band to help get 2.4ghz devices to connect on Eero, but unfortunately cannot do it the other way to force devices on the 5ghz band.

I believe the only way to disable the Eero DFS (since now enabled under ACS/auto channel selection by default) is still only available by placing the Eero in "Bridge mode". (place a router in front of the connection to manage the network).

----

Maybe try taking some of your other Roku devices (and other 5ghz devices) off the network (for testing) and see if the Streambar will connect on the 5ghz.  May just be an issue with the Eero mesh management.  Additionally, try moving the Streambar to the different locations where your other Roku devices are currently able to connect.  There also exists the possibility that the Eero firmware is just having an issue recognizing the Streambar as DFS compatible.

Roku Support now has an updated list of Roku DFS excluded models.  If not on the list, then the device theoretically should be supported. https://support.roku.com/article/213122277

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Troybarwick
Channel Surfer

I have 3 other Roku devices that all connect at 5ghz on my Eero mesh.  There seems to be something very different how the Streambar Pro handles it.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Troybarwick 

Try connecting your Streambar to a mobile hotspot (if available to you) and make sure you are using the 5ghz band of the hotspot.  (If no hotspot, and can't limit connection to the 5ghz band, then would need to try an alternate network, ie. friend or family network).

The above should give you an idea of whether the 5ghz antenna/module is working in the Streambar.  If able to connect on the 5ghz, then just some issue between the Eero and Streambar.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos