Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgards
Reel Rookie

Since Most recent software update (Oct 2023) Ultras will not connect to wired network

I have 3 Rokus (2 ultra, 1 streaming stick).  Since most recent software update (early Oct 2023) I have had to reset all 3 to factory settings and have issues connecting/staying connected to wired ethernet connection.  Have rebooted many times, test speed of cable by swapping connection to laptop and have speeds > 300 MB/s .  Tried running new cat 8 cables.  Same results.  Can get wireless connection but this is unstable if more than 1 TV is in use.  I have 1GB/s fiber internet and the only issues are with the Rokus.  Appears to be issue with the latest software revision.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Since Most recent software update (Oct 2023) Ultras will not connect to wired network

Welcome, and thank you for posting here at the Roku Community, @jgards!

Thanks for reaching out regarding your network issues after having the latest software updates. We'd be more than happy to assist you with this.

May we first know who your internet service provider is? In addition, have you tried to connect it to another alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if it will stay connected? Also, could you please let us know your current OS version? You can check it under Settings > System > About.  

With the new update, it may be possible that new changes have been made regarding your network connection's compatibility. No worries. Since you've mentioned that you are using a wired ethernet connection, here's our Support article to help you figure out why your Roku streaming devices can't stay connected to your ethernet: How to use USB to connect your Roku streaming device to a wired network. This will help you figure out how to continue using your wired ethernet connection. 

Let us know how it goes, and we'll go from there. We'll be looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Since Most recent software update (Oct 2023) Ultras will not connect to wired network

I leave my Ultra 4800 on WiFi since it's so much faster than the Ethernet connection (230 Mbps vs. 92 Mbps), but my Ultra 4640 is wired and has no issues with maintaining a connection. Both devices are in the beta test group, so I've been on 12.5 for some time. I too have a Gigabit home network and 900 Mbps Internet connection, and am certain I have no network issues. Your Stick of course is WiFi only, so no idea why you felt the need to do a factory reset on that one, other than sometimes it's simply good to wipe them and start over. 

Just don't ever expect your Roku devices to come anywhere close to your Gigabit Internet speed. The hardware used for Roku players simply isn't capable of speeds like that. I've used test videos with fixed bitrates using a USB drive, and even my best Ultra is not capable of playing a 250 Mbps video without buffering. That, coupled with the maximum WiFi speed I've measured at 230 Mbps pretty much indicates that's the limit of the Roku hardware. Of course, there's nothing available online that streams at speeds much over 30 Mbps (except perhaps a home Plex server) so that hardware limitation shouldn't be an issue in actual use. 

If your WiFi is only supporting a single TV at a time for streaming, I think you have issues with your access point. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jgards
Reel Rookie

Software rev is 12.5.0 build 4172-46.  I will try the USB method on the weekend when I have time.

0 Kudos
jgards
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your input. 

I recently switched from TWC 100mB/s to Frontier 1 GB/s because of issues with a stick Roku in our bedroom (furthest away from the router).  Per Roku, wired connection is supposed to be most stable. These problems persisted with Frontier, and I upgraded from the stick to an ultra and wired connection with a cat V cable I ran years ago.  Still had issues with a stable connection and tried moving the connection from my Gigabit 8 port switch to a port on the Frontier (4 ports available).  Same issues.  Tried running a Cat 8 cable to the room.  Same issues.  Laptop to the same port had >600 mB/s.  

A few weeks ago, no connection to this device wired or wireless, so had to reset to factory settings and reload all my apps.  When done the wired connection would not work, and this is supposed to just work after a reset. Noteworthy is the backround changed from the fishtank to some stupid Loki add. So I suspected it was a software rev issue. Then had the same issue with the other Ultra and the stick.  I didn't feel the need to reset my stick. It did.  It would not connect.  

No issues with any other device (laptops, tablets, phones, etc...).  Just the Roku's so I don't think the issue is on my end.  My network speed tests on all the other devices show blazing fast speed.

0 Kudos
BlueSky2

Hi Carly, thank you for your help. Is there a ethernet to USB adapter that will work with Ruko ultra? Listed for the Express 4K model.
Just seeing if I can increase my signal in speed if it’s available.
Thank you much 

Gary

0 Kudos