Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jockoe
Streaming Star

Significantly different Internet Download Speeds on the same network

I have a Roku Ultra in my bedroom and a Streambar in my living room.  Both were giving me an IDS (Internet Download Speed) of 80 Mbps.  I upgraded my modem and updated the firmware on my router.  The Ultra has doubled in speed and now gives me an IDS of 160 Mbps, but the Streambar is still at 80 Mbps.

Both devices are on the same network.  The Ultra is actually further away from my router/modem.

The Streambar seems to "not see" the new modem/router.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Significantly different Internet Download Speeds on the same network

@jockoe 

Distance alone isn't a reliable determinant in how good a WiFi signal will be. Depending on environmental factors, a more distant device can have a stronger signal. If you swapped the devices, and the speeds stayed the same, then you would be certain that the Streambar is not getting the same throughput as the Ultra. Otherwise, it could be that the environment around the Streambar is more conducive to interference.

By the way, you're comparing one device that is streaming at 8 times what is necessary for 4K with no buffering to one that is streaming at only 4 times what is necessary for 4K with no buffering. Just to keep a perspective.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Significantly different Internet Download Speeds on the same network

@jockoe  -

My guess is the Ultra is connecting to the 5 GHz wifi band on the new router, and the Streambar is connecting to the slower 2.4 GHz band.

As @DBDukes pointed out, both reported speeds are more than adequate for streaming to a Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X