Wi-Fi & connectivity

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DKahan
Level 7

Signal keeps dropping while watching tv

According to my ROKU box, it claims that I have excellent signal strength. If that's the case, why does it constantly buff. I'll watch a 30 minute show and it will drop offline 2 or 3 times during the show. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Signal keeps dropping while watching tv

There isn't one solution.  You can try a different Wi-Fi channel (especially if it's set to "Auto") or try a different band (2.4 vs 5GHz).  There could also be some kind of interference, so try moving your Roku device a little.  If it's a stick, try the HDMI extension cable (https://my.roku.com/HDMI ).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DKahan
Level 7

I'm currently using 5GHz. The roku device is less than 6 feet from the router so there shouldn't be problems there. Everything is set up using HDMI. I tried restarting the ROKU and am still having the same problem. I'm very tempted just to put it back in the box and request a refund and go with something else.

0 Kudos
Tameckaw
Level 7

I’m having the same problem 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Tameckaw,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

Do you get an error message when you try to connect to your wireless network, or does the issue occur when you stream a specific channel?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.
We would also suggest checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips to see if it resolves your issue here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device 

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
DKahan
Level 7

The box connects to the network. It happens when I'm watching Paramount +. I've also watched Netflix but so far, it hasn't happened there. There is no error message. Just drops signal and buffers.

I've already rebooted the router, modem and roku box and still getting the same problem

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@DKahan

Thanks for the post.

In general, buffering issues are typically related to wireless connectivity issues.

Have you tried rebooting your network to see if that helps the issue you are seeing?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos