Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtvoss74

Roku wont connect to at&t wifi after router and device factory reset

Please help. My Roku suddenly froze and restarted. Since then, it won't connect to our AT&T Wi FI. We have reset the wireless router. Our laptops and other electronic devices are connecting to the Wi fi just fine but even after a factory reset, the Roku (Roku Express 3930X) will not connect. It can detect the wi fi network and the signal strength it's detecting is full, but we are still unable to connect. Our Roku had been working fine until this evening.

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku wont connect to at&t wifi after router and device factory reset

There are some router/modems that have an issue with Roku devices if the 2.4 GHz radio mode is set to only G/N. Changing the mode to B/G/N restores connectivity. It might be worth a try on yours. I have no idea how it's changed on your router, as I don't have the same type. You might control the router through an app, you might have to log into a config screen on the router, or you might need to contact AT&T and ask them to change it. For my Xfinity modem, Comcast has me locked out of those settings, so I'd have to contact them to make any changes. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
coynem56
Channel Surfer

My AT&T internet was already set to B/G/N for the 2.4GHz wifi radio status and my TV still won't connect to the wifi. I have factory reset the TV and router.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@coynem56 does your TV see your WiFi and just not connect, or is it not even shown in the list? 

Dan

0 Kudos
coynem56
Channel Surfer

It sees the wifi and is just not connecting.

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, so it's on a supported 2.4 GHz channel. I'd next log into your router and see what the channel width is set to. Many routers permit setting the 2.4 GHz channel width higher than 20 MHz, but many devices (not just Roku) have problems with it set higher. You've already confirmed the mode is in B/G/N, so that's fine. Does your password have any special characters (such as @, $, #, etc.), if so, that might cause an issue as well. 

Dan

0 Kudos
coynem56
Channel Surfer

The 2.4GHz bandwidth is set to 20MHz and my password is just all lowercase letters.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, I've reached my limit of ideas. Sometimes the routers are just obstinate, and simply won't work with some devices. I've also found that a router/modem leased from the ISP isn't always the best choice. For my Comcast/Xfinity service, I use their modem but it's set to bridge mode and I use a Linksys that I bought myself for the router/firewall/WiFi functionality purposes. Then it's completely under my control, and Comcast can't touch any of my settings. 

Dan

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@coynem56 

You have a Roku TV? Not a TV with a Roku connected?

If so, it should be able to connect on 5 GHz band. What channel is your wireless router using on 5 GHz?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
coynem56
Channel Surfer

It's a Roku TV and the 5GHz band is N/AC/AX mode

0 Kudos