Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mdo
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won’t connect to wifi anymore. Please help?

My issue is that Roku express+ will not connect to my router. Tried all the obvious, powered up power down both Roku and router. I am using Spectrum isp and router. Properties show 5 GHz channel 157. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Mdo 

The Roku Express + (presumably model 3931), is a 2.4ghz only device.  This device cannot see or use the 5ghz band.  

Spectrum has previously disabled their customers' 2.4ghz band without their knowledge.  You will need to verify that your 2.4ghz band is Enabled and Broadcasting in order to use your Express+.  If your 2.4ghz has been disabled, contact Spectrum and have them turn it back on for you. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Mdo
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the information. A lot more than Roku email tech gave me. However, before I call spectrum, my Express model is3941X2, don’t know if that makes a difference.
Also, I was able to use my Spectrum mobile phone hotspot to connect this Roku device. I did the software updates and registered the device. Then proceeded to clear all connections and started over. Still won’t connect to my Spectrum router. Guess I’ll call Spectrum and see what they will or won’t do. Do you know if I will lose speed or other functionality from the current 5ghz and adding or displacing 2.4ghz?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Mdo wrote:

Thank you for the information. A lot more than Roku email tech gave me. However, before I call spectrum, my Express model is3941X2, don’t know if that makes a difference.
Also, I was able to use my Spectrum mobile phone hotspot to connect this Roku device. I did the software updates and registered the device. Then proceeded to clear all connections and started over. Still won’t connect to my Spectrum router. Guess I’ll call Spectrum and see what they will or won’t do. Do you know if I will lose speed or other functionality from the current 5ghz and adding or displacing 2.4ghz?

Since you can connect to the hotspot, that shows there's no issue with the Roku WiFi radio. It has to be some setting in the Spectrum modem, but I have no experience with that company so can't offer any suggestions. But enabling your 2.4 GHz radio won't impact your 5 GHz performance at all, unless the modem/router is a real piece of garbage. The two frequencies are very far apart in the radio spectrum, so they won't interfere with each other. And since your Roku doesn't work on 5 GHz, it won't have anything to do with the Express trying to connect. 

EDIT: Ack, I didn't catch your Express is really the Express 4K+. That is a great player and supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi. If it's not connecting to your Spectrum modem, there's something wrong/bad with your modem. With my Comcast/Xfinity service, I gave up using their modem as my router and placed the modem in bridge mode and installed my own Linksys router. Works far better for me than when my Comcast modem was doing all of that work.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AvsGunnar

@Mdo 

If you have model 3941, then you have the Roku Express 4k+.  This model is dual-band capable so you should be able to use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Additionally, as long you are using channels 36-48, or 149-165, the Roku should be able to connect. (157 should be good to go).

2.4ghz is slower than 5ghz.  May take a few extra seconds for a channel/app to load, but your episode will not stream any faster using 5ghz over 2.4ghz.  A benefit of 2.4ghz is the signal can be stronger than the 5ghz at times.

------

When you connected to your hotspot, did you connect on the 5ghz or the 2.4ghz band?  Try connecting to hotspot again and then go to Settings/Network/About on the Roku device and look at the wireless channel number. (1-11 will indicate your hotspot is using 2.4ghz, while higher numbers 36-48 and 149-165 will indicate 5ghz).

If you are connecting at 5ghz band with hotspot, indicates the wireless receiver/antenna in the Roku device is working properly.  Additionally, is the router relatively close to your Roku device?

Post back with the model number of your Spectrum router.

0 Kudos
Mdo
Channel Surfer

I’ll hook back in with hotspot and check the channel. This is way more complicated than I expected.

my Spectrum router is called WiFi 6 It appears be model# SAX1V1R

Installed by me about May 5, 2023

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mdo 

I will look into the default settings later this afternoon for this router.

Initial thought is that under the 5ghz band settings in your router, verify that your "Mode" is set to "AC" or "AC/AX" and that under the Security Settings you are using "WPA2" or "WPA2/WPA3"

Roku is not fully compatible with Wifi6 yet, so when using Wifi6 routers, still need to configure router to use older Wifi5 protocols.

AX and WPA3 are newer standards not supported yet by Roku, so need to include the older AC and WPA2 protocols and settings so Roku can connect to your network.

0 Kudos
Mdo
Channel Surfer

Reconnected with my hotspot. It’s showing wireless channel 6. So I guess that is using 2.4ghz

my router is about 30 feet away but, almost line of site.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mdo 

Ok, so you are narrowing down issue.  Since you are able to connect to 2.4ghz on hotspot, but unable to on the network (router), either the 2.4ghz band is disabled (not enabled or broadcasting) or possibly needs to have it's "Mode" configured to use "b/g/n".  

With Spectrum, though, it is likely the 2.4ghz has been disabled though in the firmware. (Usually needs a call to Spectrum to enable).

The above also tells you the 2.4 ghz receiver/antenna is working on the Roku device.

------

If you change your hotspot to use the 5ghz band and can get the Roku device to connect again, then that will verify your 5ghz receiver/antenna is also working.

Mdo
Channel Surfer

AvsGunner, appreciate your effort today and last night. I contacted Spectrum, they reset router to automatically accept 2.4 and 5 ghz. And I had a password issue. All is well now and hopefully it will stay that way.