Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku won’t connect and internet is fine

Thank You!  Makes me so mad.  Like why does roku do this 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

In order for us to assist you further with the issue you are experiencing, we will need more detailed information. What specific Roku model device are you using? Who is your ISP (internet service provider)? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Blunty

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 

- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

I am with Comcast and split up my 2.4 from the 5 ghz bands and connected to 2.4. It worked fine for a week or two and now it won't connect again. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

@DBDukes wrote:

@Fstylesz 

Which Roku devices do you have? The model number is important. Settings > System > About

I ask because, well, it may be important. Some Roku devices only operate on 2.4 GHz band. Some ISPs (Comcast is notorious for this, but others as well) will drop 2.4 GHz band, or change the settings from b/g/n to g/n. Either of those changes will impact low end Roku devices. The model number will help determine if this is the issue.

ShariW4

Not able to connect 2ndRoku in bedroom. I've reset, restarted the Roku player & recheck email. Connected to wireless? help Shari

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @ShariW4

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@AldenMamann

I hope you're doing well.

Some customers have reported that if you have a Comcast/Xfinity or Cox modem/router, going into the router settings and changing the wireless mode from g/n to b/g/n resolves the issue. Try giving that a shot. 

If you need help on how to change your router settings, feel free to contact your internet service provider.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

My Roku is a premier serial number JF2180806474 I have reset it by the TV n the button on back of Roku moved it to the front room n still want connect. I'm using AT&T wireless plz help. Have also restarted my router restarted my TV added new wire n did all the posable things to do but still want connect error code 014.30

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Tnsassymamma

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rsuarez
Binge Watcher

I had the same problem. I found out my CenturyLink router was setup for the 802.11n and 802.11ac wifi standards. Rokus will only connect to routers using the 802.11 b/g/n standard. To fix that I bought a $30 mini router from Amazon that uses 802.11 b/g/n. I connected it to my main router with a LAN cable and used the mini router's wifi signal to connect my Roku TV.

0 Kudos