Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Khixon93

Roku will not stay connected to the internet

My roku keeps saying it can't connect to the internet. Everytime I try to use an app to stream something it defaults back to the start up screen and says the internet is not connected.

7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku will not stay connected to the internet

What model Roku do you have?

Roku models Express, Express+, Premiere, and Premiere+ cannot connect to the 5 GHz wifi band, only to the 2.4 GHz band. If you have one of these models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on. 

There have been numerous reports lately of people with ISP-provided routers having had their 2.4 GHz band disabled and having to have their ISP re-enable it.

If that's not the problem, try this:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Cedar78
Reel Rookie

Same problem here, I get about 20 minutes into a show and then, no connection. Nothing else in our house that runs from the network have any issues, only Roku. All suggested “solutions” have been tried, I’m very frustrated, Roku came highly recommended, but I’m about done with it!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Cedar78

Thanks for the post.

Please specify to us the troubleshooting you've completed so we know what steps we should take next. Also, if you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

In addition to what @makaiguy said, Roku Express or Roku Premiere is indeed only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About or underneath the player itself.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
tan73

I've tried every option that has been listed and mine still won't connect. Every other device in the house is working fine.

Is this how they get you to buy a new one?

Cedar78
Reel Rookie

We exchanged ours and still had issue, so we said to heck with it an bought an Amazon Firestick.  Have not had any issues at all with it and would highly recommend it!  🙂

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tan73 @Cedar78

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What wireless frequency is your router broadcasting?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are seeing the same issue occur?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Timmcomp

I am so done with Roku it continues to drop internet connections.  Cannot stream with this no matter how many times it is reset.