Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eloise1
Reel Rookie

Roku will not recognise WIFI

Hi,

I have 4 roku express, 2 are working perfectly. 2 will not recognise a wifi connection.

If i turn on my mobile hotspot it will come up with that when scanning and connect, however will not scan and find the wifi connections.

Have rebooted both the rokus and the router many times. Tried factory resetting. Turned off bandwidth saver.

Nothing fixes the problem.

Has anyone successfully solved this issue?

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku will not recognise WIFI

By any chance is the network 5GHz-only and the Roku models are 2.4GHz-only?  (Roku model numbers would help us to know whether this are 2.4GHz-only models or dual band models.)

Also, it's a good idea to make sure the 2.4GHz band is being run in all modes: b/g/n because some Rokus have trouble with some routers if they are only running g/n modes.  Some routers receive automatic updates that end up turning off b-mode or 2.4GHz entirely, leaving a variety of devices with more basic Wi-Fi radios offline.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Eloise1
Reel Rookie

Thank you for replying.

I have just looked and its and express 3930.

in the past i have been able to connect to both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections - both normally come up as an option to select.

Now no connection shows in the scan as available.  this has no happened to the 3rd device.  (only one device is left that will recognise the wifi connections when scanning and connect.

I have a Linksy Modem

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Eloise1 

The Roku Express 3930 is only 2.4ghz capable. (cannot see or use the 5ghz band).

As @Strega2 mentioned, if you have a cable ISP like Xfinity, Comcast, Cox, or Spectrum, make sure your 2.4hz "Wireless Mode" is set to use b/g/n.  You may need to contact your ISP in order to make this change if you cannot do it via an app or logging into your router.

You can see all your Roku device model numbers by going to Settings/System/About on the device.  If all your Roku devices are the Express 3930, then they are all using the 2.4ghz band.  If you have a couple of the newer Roku Express models (3960), then likely they are using the 5ghz band (as they are dual band capable - can use both 2.4ghz and 5gz).

Can you verify all four model numbers by going to Settings/System/About?  Then go to Settings/Network/About and see what wireless channel number is being used by the working Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
AllanF
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku 3 that works just fine on direct connect and was able to connect to wifi, only to time out and not reconnect.  I have an ONN Android box connected to the same TV that is functioning with no problem.  I have tried factory reset; reboot wifi and also had problems with the remote not connecting.  I think this Roku 3 is kaput!

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AllanF,

Thanks for sharing the experience you've had with this issue. We're happy to help.

May we ask, does this issue occur with your other Roku device? Also, have you already tried connecting this device to an alternative network, such as a mobile network, to check if there will be a difference? Lastly, may we know how far this device is from the router?

Please let us know.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Eloise1
Reel Rookie

I have just checke dout of the expresses they are all Model 3930X

(I always have one streaming stick)

Software verison 12.5.0 build 4178-AE

Serial # X00400SF63U1

0 Kudos
AllanF
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku 3; not an express.....TNX for the input

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @AllanF.

Have you tried the troubleshooting provided above? May we know your findings upon doing so?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos