Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Roku vs Privacy Hero router

Jump to solution

Does anyone have experience trying to connect Roku devices (in my case, three TCL Roku TVs, a Roku Ultra, and one other) to the WiFI on a Privacy Hero VPN Router?  I am able to connect with no problem to my Eero mesh router, but none of my devices can manage to connect to the Privacy Hero router.  Both the 5GHz and  2.4GHz networks are visible to the devices and the signal strength is at least "Good".  Alas, none of the devices are able to make a wireless connection.  Other devices (e.g. my phone) are able to connect.  I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct password.  Any advice or any hints as to how I can zero in more specifically as to what the problem is?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku vs Privacy Hero router

Jump to solution

You're gonna love this one.  Apparently the issue is that the Roku box (but not my Phone or the Roomba or the Fire Sticks, etc.) has a problem with Wifi passwords that have special characters (e.g. "&").  Using just an alphanumeric password solved all my problems.  Agin, thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

What is the model number of the router?

It is likely that your Privacy Hero is using the WPA3 security protocol. (new standard for Wifi6/AX).  Roku devices do not yet fully support Wifi6.

As such, go into the router settings and change your "Wireless Security" to WPA2/WPA3.  Unless you have Wifi6 compatible devices, you can try using just WPA2 security.  I would see if WPA2/WPA3 helps resolve issue.  If not, see if selecting just WPA2 resolves it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Roku does not support the use of VPNs to avoid georestrictions on streaming rights.  Maybe it refuses to connect if it can detect the VPN connection.  (??)

One other possibility comes to mind.  If it's trying to connect on the 2.4 GHz band, be sure the router is set to  b/g/n connection parameters, not just g/n.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If that were the case, I would still expect it to connect to the WiFi, but refuse to supply content like, e.g., Hulu does.  Ironically, I'm trying this so I can bypass the VPN for streaming, which I can do idividually by device, but not when they are connnected via my mesh router.

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Alas, it is using WPA2.  Was so hoping that that was the issue.  Sigh...

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

Can you post a screenshot of your 2.4ghz and 5ghz settings? (Use the little camera icon in the messages).

VPNs may affect how individual channels/apps behave re: loading and providing content, but don't/shouldn't affect the Roku from connecting to a home network with a VPN installed at router.  A VPN only disguises WAN (internet) side of connection.  Does not do anything on the LAN (network) side of the connection.

If you can get this router working, you will likely find it necessary to disable your VPN to watch some content on your Roku device. (Roku can't determine if VPN is being used to alter geographic location or simply to encrypt traffic).

Since many of these routers are used in business as well as home, verify the security settings are using AES and that your WPA2 is WPA2 Personal (PSK) and not WPA2-Enterprise.

A snapshot of settings would be helpful here to see their default settings.

Edited to add... Just to verify, you have removed the old router (extenders, etc) and just using this router.  Make sure the other one is completely unplugged so you are not dealing with DHCP conflicts.

Additionally, try performing a Network Connection Reset on the Roku device from Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Both bands are WPA2-PSK-CCMP.  This router doesn't provide much in the way of configurability, so even if the settings are wrong, I can't change them.  Yeah, it sucks.   But at least it's easy to use 😞

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I can configure devices connected to the Privacy Hero router to bypass the VPN, which is my intention.  Right now, they're connected to my mesh router (Eero, BTW using same security protocol) so I don't have individual control over them, VPN-wise.  The Privacy Hero router provides "streaming relocation" for certain services, e.g. Amazon Prime and Netflix.  (This means those services bypass the VPN on their own.)  I'm able to use them via the Roku with the VPN on with no issues.  The only ones I have problems with (so far) are Hulu and PBS Kids.  To watch them, I have to turn off the VPN entirely, which is not ideal.

0 Kudos
rawier1709
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Using the Privacy Hero router as a VPN gateway to my Eero network, so both WiFis are on.  I'll try the Reset Connection later

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@rawier1709 

I saw these a couple of years ago when they came out and they are reasonably priced.  More manufacturer's are starting to include the VPN routers in their offerings.

I know you can install other VPNS on this s router, so maybe try disabling their default one.

I also was editing my previous post when you responded so maybe confirm that and try the Connection Reset as well.

0 Kudos