Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku ultra LT 4662 network connection issue

Hi i have a Roku ultra LT that i purchased with a service plan. I found a forum that within the last week people all over the nation have been experiencing problems. Since theirs don't seem similar to mine, i want to be sure its not a hardware issue before i bring it back. 

I bought this roku brand new from walmart on june 25th of this year. I hooked it up at some point during the first week of july. It worked perfectly up until this past thursday, nov 4th. Spotify seemed to have trouble with buffering the stream. Songs wouldnt play and then suddenly shoot forward about a minute or so into the song. Youtube would take forever but would eventually play. some apps wouldn't even load the menu, some could get me into the menu and even episode selection, but eventually all would prompt a message about network connectivity. No app would give me an error code except for vudu, the fandango app. error code 28: operation timeout. I reset the network connection, i reset the roku, i did a system update, i did a factory reset. Nothing. the only app that works flawlessly before and after the factory reset is netflix. I directly connected the roku to my xfinity router with an ethernet cable. nothing. 

Now the roku cant even find youtube. I checked the xfinity network/device management app, and it says the connection with the router is too weak to support audio or video streaming. When I check the network connection on the roku it says the connection is fine. Every other wireless internet device is working fine. phones, laptops, my switch. This definitely is feeling like a hardware issue, but the last thing i haven't tried is reset the xfinity router. will that really help? This particular model roku was produced in 2019. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
monica73

Re: Roku ultra LT 4662 network connection issue

I have a Roku Ultra which has a wired connection.  I have a high speed fiber internet service with speeds ranging from 901-924. Still losing connection!! I’ve tried everything to reset Roku device.  Shut down my router, disconnected everything, reset Roku to Factory default settings, removed and reinstalled streaming apps, chatted with “Roku Support”, spoken to Hulu support,  spoken with internet tech support… no one could help me.  I wish that Roku would communicate what exactly is going on and get it fixed.  This is very frustrating.  The crazy part is that I have been able to watch Netflix and HBOMax for the last several days but have had connection issues with every other channel.  
We need resolve!  We are paying for services like Hulu, Discovery+, etc and we can’t even watch them.  I don’t want to have to buy a competitor streaming device but I’m leaning that way.  Customer service please contact us!!!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@THISbetterWORK_ @monica73

Thanks for the posts.

Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this helps the issue you are experiencing?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jay_s
Reel Rookie

Similar thing with my Roku Ultra, something happened around Nov 3 and it really seems like it must have something to do with a software update from that period of time.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jay_s

Thanks for the post.

Please see my previous post and provide the requested information so we can better understand the issue that you are experiencing.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jay_s
Reel Rookie

Thanks Danny, all that info is contained within my support request #(5011216) which thus far has rendered no solutions.

0 Kudos
ADO
Reel Rookie

It's no consolation for Monica73, but I too have serious problems with Roku Ultra maintaining a hard wired connection.

My upstream is also fiber (Verizon FIOS), routers and switches are all premium Cisco feeding off a fiber trunk in the house.

The hardwired Roku Ultra works perfectly -- at first.  So far three different units have started dropping their connection to the Ethernet network after working perfectly for two to four months.  Once the connection is dropped the Roku Ultra can be revived for perhaps 20 hours by cycling (unplugging and replugging power) to the device.

Roku replied that the top-of-the-line Roku Ultra has only a 30 day warranty.  Fortunately, Amazon stepped in and Roku reluctant replaced the unit with me paying return shipping.  From here it seems pretty tacky on Roku's part.

In any event, I'm looking around at Apple and others for a hardwired replacement that has a rational warranty and will hold a hardwired Ethernet connection.

5/6/2022

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ADO 

Roku has a 30day return for "reimbursement" warranty.  The Roku devices additionally carry a 12-month "replacement" warranty.

(https://support.roku.com/article/208757158)

----

Users have reported issues with Verizon FiOS IPv4v6 negotiation stack and Roku devices.  You can try setting to IPv4 and see if that helps your connection issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ADO
Reel Rookie

Correct me if I am wrong; but, should a brand new ROKU ULTRA fail 30 days after purchase the unfortunate purchaser has to negotiate with Roku for a return authorization.  In my case it has taken  a few weeks of back & forth emailing over pretty standard trouble shooting (during that time I replaced upstream cabling & switches and even forced the router to make a fixed IP assignment -- all to no avail).

Since my problem wasn't solved. I eventually got an address to which I am to send the defective Roku.

Within only a few days after Roku receives my defective ROKU ULTRA, Roku assures me, they will send a replacement to me.

Roku gave no indication of how long shipping the replacement would take, but most significantly no assurance that the replacement ROKU ULTRA would be new or guaranteed to work for more than 4 months. (this would be my third replacement for precisely the same problem -- dropped hardwired internet connections after a few months of working perfectly).

So, with all due respect, it's a lot of down time and shipping costs for what could be a used replacement ROKU ULTRA that's going to put me through  through the same hassle four months from now -- or sooner.  At least for me, it's not the support I expect for an allegedly top-of-the-line product like ROKU ULTRA. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ADO 

You are correct.  You can return for any reason within 30 days.  After that 30 days, depending on issue upon receipt, device can be repaired or replaced by Roku at their discretion according to the warranty terms.

I understand your frustration.  Not all devices are a good match for every user, every network, every setup etc.  If you find better results with another streaming device, I certainly would pursue it, rather than continue to gamble with a device that is giving me mixed results.

I own a few of the older Roku models, so except for the Express 4k+, I can't really speak for the newer line of Rokus, and the Ultra 4800.  What I do know is that when users are having issues with the 4800 due to updates and features, I rarely see those issues on my older 4600.  It could simply be that newer isn't always better.

That said, many 4800 users don't have the issues others do.  Kind of a **bleep** shoot with these little devices.

----

If indeed a hardware issue (not out of realm of possibility), then hopefully Roku will actually investigate and correct  issue rather than merely replace devices.

Good luck.  Hopefully resolved sooner than later for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos