Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrutonGaster
Reel Rookie

Roku suddenly won't connect to wifi

Jump to solution

Today 9/17/2021 my Roku Express stopped connecting to my WiFi.  I have done the following steps:

1. restarted my router

2.restarted the Roku Express via system settings.

3. unplugged the Roku Express for 60 seconds and plugged it back in

4. reset the network connection from the Roku system settings

5. did a factory reset on my Roku and nothing has worked. 

I have my Xfinity Wifi split into 2 networks, one being 5 ghz and the other being 2.4 ghz.  I've tried both networks with other devices and both networks are running fine.  At this point the only thing I can think of is that the network card within the Roku Express has died.  Does anyone else have any possible solutions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku suddenly won't connect to wifi

Jump to solution

@R0kuStinks 

I also responded in another thread, but I'll respond here as well. I followed this tip as well as those found here --

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-code-14-30-But-Internet-Conne...

--and while my Roku device has stayed connected the longest  since this all began, I still can't cast from my phone to the device. (I think I'll start my own topic on that issue.)

Additional resources you might find helpful:

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
gigi4

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @BrutonGaster @gigi4

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
R0kuStinks
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So apparently, Roku can only connect to 2.4GHz frequency of your wifi and not the 5.0. I was having the same issue where the day before my Roku express was working fine, and the next day it wouldn't connect to wifi at all. I even did factory reset for the device, and that still didn't solve the issue.

Make sure your wifi is split into two separate frequencies (Mine was not and apparently my router was automatically deciding which device connected to which frequency. I had to call my ISP to separate the two so when you try to connect to wifi, you will see two options with your network name, one with 2.4 in the name and other with 5 or 5.0 in the name.) After separating my two wifi frequencies, and connecting to 2.4 GHz wifi, it seemed to have connected fine.

Now all I have to do is re-register my device, and log into all my streaming accounts again. Sigh! Hopefully ya'll don't have to factory reset and are able to connect without that step.

Janelle2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’ve figured it out as well. 

Enjoy - we’ll do the same. 

0 Kudos
Janelle2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

👍🏽

0 Kudos
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@R0kuStinks 

I also responded in another thread, but I'll respond here as well. I followed this tip as well as those found here --

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-code-14-30-But-Internet-Conne...

--and while my Roku device has stayed connected the longest  since this all began, I still can't cast from my phone to the device. (I think I'll start my own topic on that issue.)

Additional resources you might find helpful:

BrutonGaster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't get an error code.  The screen just says can't connect try restarting your router or Roku device. I have 2 devices in the house and both stopped working the same day.  I've not made any changes to my network.  The devices worked for 2 years and suddenly stopped.

I have taken every possible step to resolve the issue except for doing a factory reset on my router.  But I refuse to do that as I would have to do so much more work to restore all my settings and reconnect all my devices.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’m having trouble connecting after over a year. Everything has been fine up until 2 weeks ago. It just wouldn’t connect anymore. I’ve done all of the trouble shooting you could possibly do. I’ve split my wireless networks up and it still isn’t connecting. I’ve had my internet technician come out and still can’t connect. I don’t know what the problem is. I’ve talked to so many people and no one can seem to help. 

0 Kudos
Janelle2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

..head over to your, internet providers app & adjust your settings, according to the comments.
Now, I’m unsure of the step in your particular providers setting. 

..I hope this further helps.

0 Kudos