Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DEP2

Roku stopped after 1.5hrs connected tohotspot

I have unlimited data on my cell phone.  I was able to connect to Roku on my hotspot and watch the game and was thrilled.   But after 1.5 hours it disconnected and would no longer recognize my hotspot.   So we connected to my husbands hotspot which also has unlimited data and it worked for 1.5 hours and then also disconnected and would not recognize his phone.   I have tried rebooting the phones and the Roku.  Hoping someone can help me with what to do to get this working.   We are at the cottage and there is no other way to view TV

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stopped after 1.5hrs connected tohotspot

@DEP2-

You may have unlimited data on your mobile phone plan(s), but many phone plans place limitations on hotspot usage.

You may still be able to use your phone data to stream directly to the phone using an appropriate phone app or website on your phone's browser, then mirror or cast to the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stopped after 1.5hrs connected tohotspot

@DEP2, in addition to what @makaiguy said, read the fine print on your cell phone contract.  You may have "unlimited" data, but many providers throttle the speed down to something that's unusable for streaming after you've used so much data.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos