Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku speed is <1Mbps. All other devices are fast

I have a Roku 2 that has been very slow most of the time lately. Connection check right now is Signal Strength: Good, Download Speed: <1Mbps. Even thumbnails are not loading in apps. Meanwhile all other devices on the Wi-Fi are fast, with 50-80Mbps (we are paying for 1gig fiber). Is the Roku just shot, time to make me buy another one? (Any wonder nothing lasts anymore?)

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku speed is <1Mbps. All other devices are fast

What model is it?  “Roku 2” is a name used on a fairly wide variety of models from 2011 to 2015.  Some of them were 2.4GHz only, and some were dual band.  It looks like the 4210 (the most recent “Roku 2”) can still run a current Roku OS, but none of the rest can.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@NickBChaser-

This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost or not performing well:

• Restart the router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power. Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

I support everything @Strega2 said.   But no matter which "Roku 2" you have, if you replace it with a current model, you'll be astounded at how much faster and more responsive the current models are.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

First I want to state that older Roku devices do not report an accurate speed when using the internal test. But as @makaiguy mentioned, there is something you can try.

Based on those speeds I'm assuming you're using WiFi, not an Ethernet cable. Since all of the Roku 2 players (as mentioned, there's been at least 5 different versions) have an Ethernet jack, that would be my first suggestion, using an Ethernet cable.

But I'm also in agreement that you need to upgrade your device. Even the newest Roku 2 is now more than eight years old, and the performance improvements in the latest players will make yours seem like a turtle. And if 4K is in your future plans (assuming you don't have a 4K TV now) Roku has some great players for that. The Express 4K+ is only $40 and would blow your current player away.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.