Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aimeeb126
Reel Rookie

Roku outage issue please advise

So yesterday all of a sudden every Roku in my home and my neighbors stopped working. Apps aren't working but each one does something different such as Netflix has an error, Hula is making you re-sign in and when you put your username and password and enter it then takes you back to the Roku home screen, etc etc etc.  What could cause these issues with several of us and what do I do to fix it???

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku outage issue please advise

@aimeeb126 

Could be that both of you have the same ISP (internet service provider) or share an internet connection?

What are the Roku models that you are having issues with. (Settings/System/About).  Additionally, who is ISP?  Are you seeing any error message numbers on screen?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

aimeeb126
Reel Rookie

We do have the same internet provider (Fairpoint). We live in the middle of no where Maine so it's our only option. I've checked the connection and it says it's fine. I've done all the restart type of suggestions. I've checked for software updates.  I even tried to watch something on the Roku originals and it will just not load. I did notice that the YouTube app works fine but that's the only one.  The model I have in my room is 3810RW- Roku streaming stick (thank you for telling me how to find this). The one in my daughter's room is the same I believe but I'll check when she gets up. 

And no error messages on the screen that I've noticed except when I try the Netflix app, which I get error code NW-2-5. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@aimeeb126 

Since both you and neighbor are having issues, most likely an ISP problem that is affecting the Roku devices.

Perform a speedtest using your phone or laptop (make sure you are connected to the wifi connection and not using phone data connection) and see what you are getting for speeds. (https://www.speedtest.net/)

If your speed check out ok, then try powering down your router for a minute or two. (unplug from power).  Same for any network extenders or other network peripherals.

Then plug it back in and let fully reboot.  Go to Roku Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.  This will disassociate the Access Point and your Roku device will automatically Restart.  After the Roku reboots, go to Network Connection and establish a new connection.  (Settings/Network/Setup Connection) and choose your network.  You may have to select Scan Again to Refresh the Networks.

The above will be the initial troubleshooting.  Try to watch something from the Roku Channel, Youtube, etc.  Then see if Netflix will work. The error code NW-2-5 you indicated, is an internet error code and is usually a speed error, but is so general, it really can be any issue with the internet connection. (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14424).

Feel free to report back the speed tests and results of the above troubleshooting.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Cdiesch

All three of my Roku devices stopped working yesterday (Wednesday 7/20/2022), and my smart TV won’t connect either. Same issues regarding Netflix and Hulu as in the original comment. Internet fine. I can stream Netflix from my laptop. What is being done to fix this?

0 Kudos
Cdiesch

I did all of these things yesterday. Problem not fixed. Internet speeds fine. 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Cdiesch

Read @AvsGunnar‘s suggestion again and you’ll find out.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Cdiesch 

So I guess your Roku is defective then?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Cdiesch wrote:

All three of my Roku devices stopped working yesterday (Wednesday 7/20/2022), and my smart TV won’t connect either. Same issues regarding Netflix and Hulu as in the original comment. Internet fine. I can stream Netflix from my laptop. What is being done to fix this?

If you have the same issue with multiple devices, including non-Roku devices, that's a strong sign there's something else wrong, and it's likely related to your ISP. It's going to require some effort on their part to find and resolve the issue.

Companies like Netflix use different servers to feed different platforms. The fact it works on one device, such as your laptop, is immaterial to a problem with a smart TV or other streaming device. It's good info to know, but not indicative there's nothing wrong with the connection itself. 

A number of years ago, I was encountering issues with Netflix, but nothing else. After complaining to my ISP, and then to my state's A-ttorney General's office, it was finally determined there was "something" out on the Internet (outside my ISPs firewalls) that was intentionally interfering with Netflix streams. I wasn't being targeted, but Netflix was. After several months, it simply went away, either because Netflix found a way around the blocker or the blocker got tired of their game.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos