Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skoehn8

Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

My Roku keeps disconnecting from the internet but when I check my wifi, everything is still working. When I restart my stick, it immediately reconnects only to disconnect again after 30ish minutes. Its very frustrating. When I go to reconnect, I get stuck on “looking for available networks” and have to unplug my Roku. Makes me contemplate on sending it back if theres no fix. 

41 REPLIES 41
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

I've never had one disconnect THAT frequently but I have had occasional disconnects. 

This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost or not performing well:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory.   Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under Settings > System > Power or if not there, under Settings > System. Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Incidentally, I replaced my old Western Digital router with a new Acer one several months ago and have not had a wifi disconnect since then.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Becherjf

Hey did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same issue

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

@Becherjf

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Can you please provide us with more information regarding the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried restarting your Router? Is there any error message when trying to connect? May we know whether Roku is detecting the network?

We recommend doing basic troubleshooting steps on that Roku device and checking if these steps would resolve your connectivity issue: 
How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku ...

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,

Karla

Jamesjr57
Reel Rookie

My Roku is doing the same thing everyday I have to reconnect to my wifi a couple of times I was in the middle of a movie and it disconnected a message said lost connection then I have to go through the set up and restart my Roku every time why is this disconnecting I’ve called my cable company and had my wifi checked out and it’s fine so it has to be the Roku how can I fix the problem 

AvsGunnar

@Jamesjr57 

Which Roku device model are you having an issue with. (Settings/System/About).

Also, what is router model number and who is ISP (internet service provider)?

---

Different models, different ISPs, and different routers may have different issues and remedies.  With a little more info, can hopefully make some sugestions.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Phil_D
Reel Rookie

I have 3 Roku Express 4K+ units operating at WiFi-5G and found them all to be very sensitive to position and orientation, even when located fairly close to my WiFi router. Mine were all initially placed on a flat surface (TV cabinet, shelf, etc) near the TV with marginal results. I was able to easily tune the position of all devices to improve the transfer-rate from 20-50 Mbps to over 150 Mbps by simply propping them off the cabinet/shelf using a small piece of cork about 1/2" thick to create an air space around the entire unit. This significantly improved the signal-strength and transfer-rate for me.

0 Kudos
Garebear68
Reel Rookie

My Express 4K+ has been having this problem from the start. It started disconnecting from the WiFi about once or twice a week. After about 9 months, it started disconnecting daily. Now, after having it a year, it will disconnect what seems like hourly. I am able to reconnect after I power it down and restart the whole system or unplug it for half a day. This is getting very frustrating and I wished I would have returned it or got an Amazon fire stick in its place instead if this is the only kind of quality this is going to be. I love the microphone in the remote feature. That is sweet but the batteries in the remote constantly have to be replaced for some reason. It's very low quality support and equipment and this is very frustrating. I have done all the troubleshooting steps and even gone out of my way and replaced my modem and my router. Still having the same issue. I have an old Roku in my bedroom which is never failed me. It's just the simple basic run of the mill Roku. It seems like every time they try to advance or make something fancy, it just makes it worthless. I like the advantage of being able to have this remote control reach across the room without even having to point at the the Roku itself. I love the features and the options at Roku has but to me it's almost not even worth it getting the upgraded systems if this is the only kind of quality they have!

AvsGunnar

@Garebear68 

What is the model number of your older Roku device. (Settings/System/About).

What network band are you using for both your Roku devices. (Settings/Network/About).

----

If your Express 4k+ keeps disconnecting, try connecting it to the 2.4ghz band and see if you have a more stable connection.  It is possible that your 5ghz band is currently configured to use DFS channels (52-140) which Roku cannot see or use.  If the router switches to a DFS channel, your Roku will lose connection.  If you are having to restart your network equipment to regain connection, this would be the first setting I would look at.  Either disable use of DFS on the 5ghz band, or manually assign a wireless channel of 36-48 or 149-161 and see if performance stabilizes.

While you are at it, disable the Power Saving feature of the Express 4k+. (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20-min/[uncheck to Disable] ).  This can cause some stubborn reconnections.  If you are currently using the TV USB power port for power, instead try using the wall adapter and plug directly into wall outlet. (any cell phone charger adapter 5volt, 1amp will do).  An under-powered device will behave unpredictably as well.

The above should allow to rule out some possible culprits.  

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jamesjr57
Reel Rookie

Roku 1 2710 I believe so it still disconnects everyday I have to go through the reconnect to wifi I’ve tried everything and it still does it I have Xfinity they have checked my signal and modem still no luck. Does anyone have any idea how to keep it connected I’ve had it disconnect while watching a movie as well 

thank you 

Tags (1)