Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCraig007
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku keep losing connection

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with Roku Express 4K+ as others are reporting in this thread.  (V12, build 4184.) 

This has been going on for some time intermittently.  I have a good router and the Roku is about 8 ft away.  I have two other (different types of) Rokus further away are not experiencing this issue.

On several occasions when this happened, I checked my wifi on my phone & PC.  They still had good wifi connections and internet access.  Only this Roku had lost its connection and was unable to self-reconnect. 

Generally I resolved it with a (Roku Setting) System Restart.  Every once in a while, I had to physically unplug the Roku.  After every restart, my Roku reconnected to my wifi just fine. It feels like the problem is with this Roku device itself. 

Roku Issue 1.jpgRoku Issue 2.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @DCraig007,

A friendly welcome from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reporting the problem to us about your connectivity issue. We are looking into this issue immediately. 

• Have you tried changing your network channel?
  • Do you have cellular data so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

Please try selecting the 2.4 GHz band of your network for all your Roku devices and see if the connection stabilizes.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DCraig007
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, my Rokus are all on 2.4GHz, channel 9. Channel 9 is mostly just my wifi signal, and much stronger than any neighbor's wifi. 

Hotspot: 90+% of all my data activity on my phone is via wifi because my data plan is very limited.  If I used my phone as a hotspot, I would still be connecting to the internet via wifi. 

I have a Roku 3, Roku Premiere+, and this Express 4k+.  The Express 4k+is the only one that is disconnecting from my wifi network from time to time (and it's the one closest to the router)!

0 Kudos
happy_streamer
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What I understand from the support teams messages is, they would need to know serial number or device ID from the device to be able to track such issues.

0 Kudos
DCraig007
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Additional info on device I'm having problem with:

SN: X0160022XFWX

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Version: 12.0.0 - Build 4184-CR

Device ID: S07P2172XFWX

Thank you hs

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DCraig007,

Thanks for providing the following information.

We've passed along your information and concern to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We appreciate your patience and misunderstanding in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gram5

Re: Roku keep losing connection and goes offline often!!!

Jump to solution

My Roku also loses connection very often as well as going off line.  I can't  watch a entire program from beginning to end.  Very disappointing.  This is my first experience with a streaming device.  Have tried the remedies but nothing seems to work.  

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here at the Roku Community, @Gram5!

Thanks for raising your network connection issues with your Roku streaming device with us. May we first know what specific Roku streaming device you are experiencing this issue with? In addition, have you tried to restart your router? We also suggest reaching out to your Internet Service Provider and letting them reboot your network connection's system because, in most cases, this troubleshooting procedure resolves the issue you are currently having. 

Let us know how it goes, and we'll go from there. 

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ddroberts

Jump to solution

After reading numerous posts, it seems Roku has known about this issue for several months but has made no progress in resolution.

I have a Model 3941X Express 4K serial number X016002JCY43, software version 12.0.0

It is connected to a high speed Xfinity XB6 router that does not permit users to switch to the 2.4 channel for the Roku device. Following all other previous suggestions has not improved the issue of continuous dropouts. It needs to be fixed, or all affected users should receive a full refund.

0 Kudos
pmifold
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but ever since I logged my complaint and provided the information they requested my Roku is working, seems kind of odd.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I never heard back from Roku after I logged my original complaint to say it was fixed.  Coincidence?