Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku keep losing connection

Jump to solution

Hi @MiniVan,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We see that you're experiencing this behavior on the Roku Streaming Stick+ when connecting to your wireless network.

We'd like to take a closer look at this. Have you tried connecting your device to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if there are any differences?

Are you using an HMDI extender on both devices? We also suggest trying to connect those devices to a different TV, then trying again if you're still seeing the same issue occur.

Let us know more about this so that we'll be able to recommend the appropriate next steps.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MiniVan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a router repeater that I used to try to create an "alternate network" both in 5g and 2.4g. same issue.

I am unable to set a mobile hotspot with my phone

We are not using HDMI extenders.

The rokus are plugged into 2 different tvs. Same issue on both rokus on both tvs

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MiniVan,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We understand that your Roku streaming sticks cannot maintain a connection with your network. We recommend ordering an HDMI Extender for your Roku streaming stick as a solution. You can order the HDMI Extender with no additional charge at this link: HDMI Extender.

Just make sure to fill in the required information.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JCII
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Mine is back to normal.

thanks

0 Kudos
DrJackie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The issue remains the same after a week of struggling to connect. I bought another Roku with receiver.  I note that the blue light flickers on and off on the receiver. There is no response with the remote.  I have spent hours applying all the fixes recommended on this site and I cannot get the ROKU to operate.  After the letters jump around, it goes to Language: English and stays on there no matter what I do with the remote. I have done the reset button, which worked for a few hours and quit, then did the factory reset, losing all my information.  Still, no response. 

How can a company serving thousands of customers let this error go on, much to the frustration of viewers?

There are no solutions on this site.  So I now have two Roku players and no ability to watch streaming TV.

What next? @

DrJackie
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4K loses connection

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. No amount of rebooting helps. I pressed the reset button; no response. I followed all the directions suggested on this site; nothing. I haven't seen Netflix or Prime in two weeks. I have read 9 pages of information on connectivity and there really is no viable solution.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DrJackie,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We regret to hear about the inconvenience this may have caused you. No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

Just to clarify, are you able to navigate your remote? It's possible that you can't proceed past choosing your preferred language because you can't use the buttons of your remote. Since you've mentioned that you have two Roku streaming devices, try to use a different remote. 

Pair it with the other streaming device. Here's how to Pair your remote.

Let us know how it goes, and we'd be more than happy to continue assisting you with this.

We'll wait for your response!

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jyt
Binge Watcher

Roku keeps losing connection every 20 minutes

Jump to solution

having same issues.  roku ultra will NOT hold connection longer than 20 minutes.  3 times an hour unit must be totally reset.  it’s been happening for months.  bought a new unit thinking problem was old roku.  it’s not.  same issue with new purchase.  have done the workarounds listed in forum.  nothing help.

sony tv 5-6 yrs old

comcast internet provider.  major metro area.

netgear availability “strong”.  no other device —computer, ipad, ipod loses connection with netgear.  just the tv.

looks a lot of people having problems with roku.   what am i supposed to do now??

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku keeps losing connection every 20 minutes

Jump to solution

Hi @jyt,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to look further into this issue that you're experiencing with the Roku Ultra, but we will need to collect more details. What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after putting in the network credentials) How far is your device from your network router? Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jyt
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku keeps losing connection every 20 minutes

Jump to solution

john:  non technology proficient person here.  may need you to hold my hand,

tv says cannot connect to wifi.  it searches for available networks, sometimes finds netgear16, asks for password and connects.  but most of time it searches for networks, finds nothing, asks to turn off and be reset.  comes back and connects.  process can take 10-15 minutes.  sometimes won’t connect even tho it says netgear16 signal is “strong”.   i am sooo confused.  if something ‘strong’ why doesn’t connection work?

roku will not connect even when my ipad, computer & ipod are fine.  they haven’t broken connection with wifi.  tv breaks all the time. 

wifi about 20’ from tv one and upstairs above tv 2. both have roku.  tv one, with the straight shot,  is the biggest problem.  roku upstairs will break connection but very infrequently. 

had rokus for years.  same proximity to wifi.  never had the problems i’m dealing now.  i think this particular roku is bunk.

teach me how to find “cellular data”  i don’t know how. 

0 Kudos