Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KTFishy
Reel Rookie

Roku home display says “Not connected” and can’t use remote. Not a new device.

Roku streaming stick in living room is not connected. Where time is usually displayed it says not connected. Remote won’t pair. Can’t use Roku at all. I can only power on and office. It’s been working fine for several years but now all of a sudden not connected. Hit reset nothing changed. Tried pairing remote. Won’t work 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku home display says “Not connected” and can’t use remote. Not a new device.

Hey @KTFishy

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? Is your device not connecting to the internet? Please also reply here with a photo of the problem occurring.

We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
psumax
Channel Surfer

Re: Streaming Stick - not connected

Hey Danny,

I am having this very same issue with a Roku Streaming Stick.  Everything was fine for quite some time, and immediately following the software upgrade to v11.5.0 a few months back this problem started.  All the while I also have a Roku Express that got the v11.5.0 software upgrade at the same time and does not experience this problem.  They are both connecting over WiFi to the same Linksys EA8300 router.

Even as a 35 year network engineer (with many years in wireless networking,) I am unable to understand the problem.  However, I have identified two 'work arounds;' neither are even close to optimal.  First, if the Roku Streaming Stick gets into the "not connected" state, I have figured out that rebooting the Linksys EA8300 will let it connect again; rebooting the Streaming Stick will not fix the issue.  Second, I have had a fair amount of success avoiding the "not connected" state by configuring my TV to turn the USB power off when the TV turns off; obviously, this turns off the Roku Streaming Stick.  The next time I turn on the TV, I have to wait for the Roku Streaming Stick to boot up, but it usually will boot up and be connected.

The Roku v11.5.0 software has clearly broken something for the Streaming Stick that used to work just fine.  Please figure out what it is and get it working again, or suggest some better work around than the two I mentioned above.

Thank you,

Mark

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@psumax

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried connecting the Roku devices to an outlet to see if you are experiencing the same issue? In addition, have you already tried changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that helps?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
psumax
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R Hi Danny,

The issue that I'm having is that prior to the release of v11.5.0 I had two Roku devices (a Roku Express and a Roku Streaming Stick) that both worked just fine on my wireless network.

Once both devices installed the v11.5.0 software, the Roku Express continued to work fine, but the Roku Streaming Stick became problematic.  The behavior was, if the USB port powering the Streaming Stick was configured to always have power, then the Streaming Stick would loose WiFi connectivity within a day.  Rebooting the Stick would not restore connectivity; only rebooting my WiFi Access Point (router) would restore connectivity.  However, if the USB port powering the Streaming Stick was configured to turn off power when the TV was turned off, then the Streaming Stick was not always powered on and would need to boot when the TV was turned on.  Although, always waiting for the Streaming Stick to boot when I turned on the TV was not optimal, it wasn't as bad as rebooting my router every day.

Since you sent your reply, I also decided to contact Linksys support to get their advice.  The guy I talked to there also suggested changing the wireless channel configuration.  So, after changing both of the 5GHz radios from an "automatic" channel config to picking a static channel from the configuration list, my Streaming Stick now stays connected to the WiFi while also staying continuously powered up.

Clearly something in the v11.5.0 software made the Streaming Stick unable to deal with a router that was doing "automatic" channel assignment.  And, as I've mentioned, the v11.5.0 software did not cause this same poor behavior for the Roku Express.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@psumax

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried powering the Roku device through a wall outlet and not through a USB port?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos